1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA student's anti-Asian rant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 15, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It all gets back to the narcissism of YouTube and Facebook, etc. She could have easily vented in the dorm or a bar to her equally vapid friends. But they're so in love with themselves that they think their comments should be posted -- and then act like the most shocked people on earth when it goes viral and, well, consequences kick in.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be more sympathetic to her if she posted it to Facebook, then someone put it on Youtube. She wanted people to see it. I'm not sure she wanted a million people to see it, but in this day and age, you never know what can be a random Youtube posting one day and all over the late night shows a couple days later.

3. Mizzougrad96

If this one falls between 2-4 on the racism scale, where does Cappie Pondexter's tweets fall?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am not sure where the idea came from that this between a 2 and a 4. On the scale of who she is and the ultimate "importance" there isn't much, but it was pretty up there as far as the pure racism. Not Kramer-level or anything, but definitely up there, and the mocking talk is as much of a slur as if she had used one of the magic words.

Cappie Pondexter's was far worse though, IMO. Fortunately for her, she didn't do it on video and nobody gives a crap about the WNBA anyway.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you people are so up in arms over this. Here is the epitome of a nobody making some Youtube video, likely to help her modeling/swimsuit "career." She's not a star athlete. She's not a celebrity. She shouldn't have to apologize, there's no way she should be expelled and she certainly has the right to make a video like this. But in the words of Peter Griffin, "Who, the hell, cares!?"

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Incorrect.

Bingo.

Always nice to take a trip down memory lane when these types of threads come up:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55339/

7. Mizzougrad96

I find it interesting that people are so up in arms over this girl and virtually nothing here has been mentioned about the Liberty player who basically tweeted that they got what was coming to them.

As usual, people are lining up and waiting to be offended.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And others line up even more quickly to say "I don't get what the big deal is!!!"

As long as those people exist, I'm glad individuals who can spot offensive speech are around to provide education.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

AmisBob feat. Alexandra Wallace (Do It Fast Radio Edit) UCLA GIRL TECHNO REMIX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83QSYVMFDDw&feature=related

10. Mizzougrad96

Just another example of the wussification of this country. What the girl said was ignorant, but did it hurt anybody? She made fun of how people talk. How is that any different than someone making fun of someone with a southern or a northern accent?

We need to save our outrage for something like what Adrian Peterson said yesterday or what Tim Hardaway said about gays or what Mel Gibson said about Jewish people.

There are times to be offended and outraged and people lining up to complain about a college kid (a non-celebrity) making ignorant comments about how Asian-Americans talk on the phone need to take a deep breath.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Who will be the Al Gore crusading against the wussification of America? Time is running out! We must act! Spew your racist, ignorant crap or we'll all die! Where is our hero! Help!

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Looks like you had plenty of allies on that particular thread, including Tripp (RIP).

That thread also included a great smackdown from you to old_tony.

Draft saved Draft deleted