1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA campus floods; Louis Slungpue is on the scene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 30, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The footage here is wild -- a water main burst and flowed for hours, pumping millions of gallons of water all over campus. Pauley Pavilion had an inch of standing water. People had to be rescued from the underground garages.

KABC was fortunate enough to talk to a spokesman named Louis Slungpue. At the 1:20 mark, we learn "it was either a cherry bomb or someone took a really large dump."

At the end, anchors say to disregard the call. "Not funny at all."

Oh, I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyN39PY0d4M&feature=player_embedded

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was ridiculous. When they put "Louis Slungpue" on the screen, I laughed out loud.

Worth repeating: "It was either a cherry bomb, or someone took a really large dump."

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Slungpue.

Classic.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Even during the last seconds of the call, after someone off camera says its a crank call, the dummy female anchor says, "we lost him, we'll work to get him back".

Anyone know the name of the two dummies?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Interview with Slungpue:

http://www.kfiam640.com/onair/gary-hoffmann-11314/reporters-punked-by-fake-dwp-spokesperson-12616765/

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heywood Jablome not available for comment.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree it wasn't funny at all....that a newscast puts an unconfirmed "official" source on live air. Dumb. Hell, check a website, buy a sandwich do some f'kin thing.

But it isn't like there were injuries or deaths. If it's too serious to not make prank calls about, it's serious enough to check your sources.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any chance the folks who put the call on the air worked in the Bay area around the time of the Asiana crash?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the Asiana thing was an internet "joke" sent by a producer by another producer, who thought it was real and ran with it.

Man - I can only imagine what humorless places newsrooms of the future are destined to be. You take away pay, job growth, fellow employees and the dark humor that sometimes makes the job bearable during tough times...

Wait a second...I remember a senior editor came by one night of some breaking local news we were busting our ass on and I sarcastically said "it's been horrible tonight...the cable tv isn't working." He actually quoted me in a staff memo later talking about "appropriate use" of the newsroom TVs. I'm sure if he used my name, people would have realized how much farther out of touch with the newsroom he was than people already knew he was.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The guy behind it talked to this radio station and says he's never tried anything like this before. His story is he and some buddies were sitting around and they dared him to call in the tip line, things just went from there. If he's telling the truth, it's a fascinating look at how easy it is to dupe some stations.

http://www.kfiam640.com/onair/gary-hoffmann-11314/reporters-punked-by-fake-dwp-spokesperson-12616765/

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Don't these stations have caller ID?

Draft saved Draft deleted