1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA beat writer, L.A. Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Aug 4, 2009.

1. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

If it's been announced that Jon got the job, congrats to him.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And it's not like there's a shortage of really good, proven, experienced reporters out there right now.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I haven't heard anything official, and I don't think anything is official ... But, if Jon Gold does get the job it would be a great hire. I've read more than a few of his stories since he started stringing for them, and the guy obviously knows how to write.

Yes, he's young. Mid-20s I believe. But he's older and more experienced than some of the young kids the Times has hired the last couple of years.

Plus, from what I understand, one of the main things they were looking for with this beat was someone who could fuel the UCLA blog, which Dohn had built into one of the more successful newspaper blogs around. In some ways, that fits better with a young, enthusiastic 20-something than a hardened vet.

And no, before someone posts the obligatory -- ``thanks Jon'' reply -- this is not Jon.

Carry on...

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Jon is a fine reporter and an even better writer. He'll do fine. Good luck to him if he does in fact get the job.

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

So did he get the job, or what?

Seriously, though, Jon is a hell of a writer. Like any young reporter covering a major beat for the first time, he'll probably take his lumps early on, but from what I know of him, he's a hard-headed, determined sort who will learn the right lessons from that adversity and get better.

Best of luck to a guy who just keeps movin' on up -- it seems like the dude has had about 10 jobs in a couple of years. ;D

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Don't have any inside info on this, but reading between the lines, it sounds like Gold is a done deal.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that LANG is paying about $35,000 for this job. Does that sound right?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So this major beat job everyone's been drooling over is going to pay less than $40,000? In LA?

I'm going to be ill.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If that's what it ends up paying, it will be a better rate than just about every other job currently listed on this site's job board, and it will be more than I've had suggested to me in all the interviews I've been through in the past couple of years. And I've been through quite a few.

So, just remember, the drooling is all relative.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

True, but few -- if any -- of the other listings require living and working in Los Angeles, a fairly expensive area (let alone state) in which to live.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It really is the state of this business. Unfortunately, I know of which I speak.

That said, my educated guess is that people are underestimating just a bit, and that the salary will actually be right around $40,000 -- maybe a bit more if they hire a veteran who already has been established and has been responsible for an intensive, high-profile major beat previously.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Here's hoping, WT.

Draft saved Draft deleted