1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA beat writer, L.A. Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Aug 4, 2009.

1. BigOleSportsFan

BigOleSportsFan New Member

As Chris Smither would say, that one didn't even part your hair.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. CCaple

CCaple Member

Anybody know where Brian Dohn is headed?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. I thought of two right away who were whacked who would do very well on this beat.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/08/offering-many-thanks-and-some.html

My family and I are moving back to New Jersey. Within the next week and for those interested, I will get word out a about my new gig, which is not UCLA related. Right now is not the correct timing for me to say what it is.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I read the comments to see how many douche bags would piss all over him on his way out the door and was absolutely shocked at the response he got. Every single comment I read (until I gave up) was overwhelmingly positive. Didn't follow his coverage, but he must have done a hell of a job to not have even one single prick say something rude. The blog seems like a big hit.

Someone has big shoes to fill.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Rich Hammond is still blogging away.

7. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Is this paper union?

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It has a guild, albeit a very weak one.

9. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

This job get filled yet?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone able to gauge the marketplace yet?

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Perhaps the LADN isn't worrying about getting a beat guy in until hoops season since UCLA football isn't expected to be much good this season.

I know of a guy who would do just as good a job as Brian did who applied and he hasn't heard a thing. If they can do better than that guy, more power to them, but you would think the LADN sports editor would at least contact him.

So they are either operating in slow motion (eye more towards hoops than football) or they knew who they wanted before they advertised.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

What you've got to remember about the LADN is that they are in terrible financial shape. Sure they have an opening and I'm sure they're looking at people, but the place has undergone a purge recently. Posting an opening and making a hire are two different things.

Draft saved Draft deleted