1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber's New Logo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Drove a taxi one night. The steering had more play than the handlebars of a bicycle when you loosen them. Plus, didn't have GPS and cell service sucked in the area.

Have taken maybe five cabs in my life and the worst experience was a cabbie who said he could take credit cards and mentioned halfway through the ride the machine was down. Seemed to magically work at the destination when I said I didn't have cash.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't set foot in any of those services without getting a good look at their insurance coverage. One medium accident with someone minus a commercial policy, and you're fucked.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The service carries the insurance from what a driver told me. A driver's policy would probably be void for driving for hire.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not sure why people get worked up about this. Most taxi drivers aren't employees.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lyft just settled this class-action.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Uber apparently only covers when there is a passenger, and even then I wouldn't trust a company I cannot contact by phone.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The same city dwellers who push kale and small plates on me are constantly pushing Uber on me, as well. I'm going to tell one of them I'm taking a cab to McDonald's, just to see the look on their face.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And when a driver doesn't have a passenger he isn't working for Uber and his car's policy applies.

And what does that have to do with you not setting foot in the car?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  9. YankeeFan

Dude, just use UberEATS to get some food!

10. YankeeFan

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Uber was briefly here and then were shut down by cour in injunction. Another city in my province has found the legal framework to let them operate and it is expected to be operating again here soon.

I am a bit of a night owl so was thinking of driving a few weekend nights a month after the kids are in bed.

There is a real cab shortage here after business hours so thinking that if I can throw 50 bucks a night onto my pocket it may he worth it.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted