1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber and Lyft subsidizing taxis in Mass.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Aug 22, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The taxi lobby is one of the three most powerful pure special interest groups, in which special interest is defined as a small group with outsized influence, in the state. Parking lot owners and liquor distributors are the other, which is why you can't buy wine online in our state and why it costs $50 to park near Fenway.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have sympathy for the guys who own a sole medallion. The prices were jacked up (in part because of the guys who hoard medallions) and now some immigrant who busted his ass and finally got his hands on one is underwater by a few hundred grand.

Of course those guys will never see a nickel of this.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

How much will Uber and Lyft have to pay when self-driving cars are rolled out? BTW, the test in Pittsburgh seems interesting. I'd do it, especially since the rides are free.

6. doctorquant

Some day soon Congress will enact some special tax on some emerging industry to compensate "victims"* of that industry. And when those of my sensibilities object, some dipshits will say "But it was a Republican idea! Remember Massachusetts?"

And I will throw another shoe through another TV.

*With "victims" being defined as "those whose rent-gathering has come to an end."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The prices were jacked up because industry groups bought regulatory preference from corrupt politicians to put barriers to entry in place in their industry. They wanted a bought-and-paid for political price floor under the service they offer. It creates lots of turmoil when they aren't able to keep buying that preference.

It's messed up all around. Consumers pay for it as long as the corrupt preferences last, in the form of higher prices and limited choices. And those immigrants you are talking about who scrimped and borrowed for a medallion lose their "investment" the minute the phoniness / corruption that made that medallion valuable disappears.

Now Uber and Lyft have to pay. It's a microcosm of a small slide that America has taken over the past few decades. We're our own worst enemies.

X-Hack and YankeeFan like this.
  8. JohnHammond

Why is the government giving money to landlords?

doctorquant likes this.
  9. doctorquant

It's funny, the last couple of years a new phrase has entered the lexicon ... pecuniary externality. This is when some previously favored group loses its favored status ... so the externality is the loss suffered by that group. Which is, of course, a crock of shit, seeing as how the favored group was rewarded in advance (with excess profits) for the harm that would befall it!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

All of life is a pecuniary externality. When I take a dump, the next person in the bathroom has to smell it. It's such a meaningless term.

11. doctorquant

Yeah but you're a vegetarian, so your shit don't stink ...

Draft saved Draft deleted