1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ubaldo Jimenez Detained in AZ As Illegal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have a driver's license on you, even when you get pulled over, it's not a violation of any sort, correct? Let alone a crime? You just have to eventually provide identification, even down the road?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There are certain countries where I would have my passport on my person, at all times.

And certain countries where I would expect to be fucked with where that's concerned.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, the cops still can't pull anybody over just for the hell of it, even under this law. They have to be stopped/caught doing something illegal.

Arizona has every right to protect its citizens. Especially when it's abundantly clear our elected leaders in Washington don't have the courage to do it themselves.

I guess they're more concerned with losing the illegal alien vote come November than defending our laws and the people who elected them in the first place.

I live in a state where one of our border towns has seen kidnappings quadruple in the last year. A rancher was murdered by an illegal alien who was trespassing on his land not too long ago.

It's the wild fucking west down here but nobody gives a shit. So, yeah, I'm not real sympathetic to the plight of illegal aliens. You get caught, you go home.

4. Armchair_QB

I also think it's kinda funny that the party that is so up in arms about this law is the same party of politicians who demanded proof of identification and residency from folks who wanted to attend their town hall meetings last summer.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Plain untrue. The most egregious thing about the law (and why it is going to get splattered on Constitutional grounds) is that it allows authorities to demand documentation from anyone they "reasonably suspect" of illegal immigration.

I defy anyone to explain how you can "reasonably suspect" someone of being an illegal immigrant. I also defy anyone to explain how that isn't a formula for racial profiling, at best. And I defy anyone to explain, how on common sense grounds it isn't a formula for allowing every Barney Fife out there ridiculous latitude to harass a person he just plain doesn't like.

6. Armchair_QB

Fine, throw that part of the law out. I certainly don't have a problem with that.

But if you're here illegally and you get caught you should be sent home immediately.

7. Yeah, the law is just ridiculously vague.

Again, the politicians realize that it is completely unenforceable. They don't give a shit. Because now people think they are "taking a stand!" It's disgraceful.

8. I don't think anyone is arguing with you about that.

But that's exactly how politicians exploit these things. They know that people, on the whole, won't grasp nuance. Not because they're incapable. But because people's worlds are divided into good guys and bad guys, heroes and villains. Heroic lawmakers taking a stand against illegals vs. illegals and their sympathizers. They knew exactly that's how citizens would frame it. And the citizens should toss each and everyone of them out on their ass next election for insulting them to that degree.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As I understand it, a cop has "reasonable suspicion" when the person in question has done something potentially illegal such as speeding. There must be a pretext for the immigration inquiry.
    The problem -- lawyers, feel free to jump in here -- might be one of equal protection. If you ask an Hispanic-looking person for his papers because he ran a red light, aren't you also obligated to ask a white guy the same questions?

10. Armchair_QB

And I would argue that at least they're making an attempt. Which is more than can be said about the cowards in DC.

11. Armchair_QB

If you run a red light you're going to have to present ID regardless of your skin color. So that argument is just a steaming pile of horseshit from the get-go.

Some folks are essentially arguing that cops shouldn't ask Hispanics for ID when they pull them over on a traffic stop.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This just in: D-backs managing partner says he personally opposes 1070. Therefore, isn't it a bit premature to call for a boycott of the team?

Draft saved Draft deleted