1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ubaldo Jimenez Detained in AZ As Illegal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 29, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Through five starts. Slow down there a bit.

Chad Billingsley looked like he was headed to Cooperstown this time last year as well.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That guy who threw a no-hitter about 10 days ago.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Did Halladay retire suddenly?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Halladay is going to win 40 games this season. / any MLB writer"

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Along those lines, I think Tony Oliva is technically in this country illegally (or at least was originally). He used his younger brother's passport when he signed with the Twins so they would think he was 18, rather than 21.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Why is passing a law that says "we're going to enforce the federal law" dumb?

What really seems dumb is that the feds aren't enforcing the original law in the first place.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's not what the law is. The law is a mess, and will be tossed on Constitutional grounds. It will also be incredibly expensive for the state, as it gives anyone the right to sue any agency that they think isn't doing enough to crack down on illegal immigrants.

As for your second point, we desperately need immigration reform and real enforcement of the borders. The situation in Arizona is very bad and increasingly dangerous, and the blame rests with the federal refusal to take real action to secure the border. That's what led to a very understandable desire in Arizona to find a way to fight in on their own. But having said all that... this law is not the way to do it.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm just a little disappointed that people don't call it the Arizona geezers' "Get the hell out of my yard!" law.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I say let's get this law off the books. I mean, Christ, why should we make it a crime to be here ILLEGALLY? ::)

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not to divert this into a Politics board pissing match, but that isn't even close to the problem with this law.

Even Tom Ridge has said this is a shit law. It will be tossed. With any luck it will prompt Washington to do something substantive on immigration but I'm not holding my breath.

11. O_T and schiezainc - The problem is not that the law cracks down on illegals. It is that it doesn't. It is completely unenforceable as an equal protection violation, and disgraceful grandstanding/pandering of the highest order. Power to arrest someone "suspicious" for not providing proper documentation to law enforcement? It's a way for a bunch of grandstanding state politicians to look like they're crackin' down on a major problem without having to do the actual hard work of cracking down on a major problem. It's fucking disgraceful.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's already a crime to be an illegal alien.

But lots of things are crimes. Tax evasion is a crime. So using your eye roll logic, I propose that my state passes a law authorizing the cops to roust anyone they think looks suspicious and demand to see his tax return. You know, because what is the harm in enforcing the law that way? If anyone is going to eyeball a tax cheat and pick him out of a crowd in a fair and unbiased way, it's Barney Fife, right? It's the kind of random search that police never abuse, right? Great idea, isn't it?

That is what this law does. It doesn't make it a crime to be an illegal alien. It gives cops ridiculous latitude to randomly harass anyone they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted