1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ubaldo Jimenez Detained in AZ As Illegal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah not really but this dumb new law is sure to wrongly grab someone notable and then it will hit the fan.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well boo, can you at least tell me who Ubaldo Jimenez is?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's Colorado's best pitcher.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Some illegal who used to be Boom's favorite squeegee man in NYC before Rudy chased them all off to the desert

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Would have been more believable if you said Rodrigo Lopez, who plays for the D'backs and is actually Mexican. (Jimenez is Dominican).

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jimenez is Dominican, but isn't that part of the point/joke?
    The new law is primarily intended to target illegal Mexicans but is so poorly conceived it would open the door to pulling over a Cy Young-candidate pitcher who is here legally from the Dominican Republic.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I, for one, am not sure why people are so upset with the new law. Isn't anything that gives local police officers a pretext for questioning anyone they want, a good thing?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was just saying in the office here yesterday that a shrewd ACLU-type lawyer will find himself a blue-eyed blond Canadian who is in AZ illegally, get that person arrested, and then have a field day with the courts.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Altering to make it even more perfect.

10. No one's going to get nabbed. It's complete pandering, passing a law the legislators know is 100 percent unenforceable just to get the electorate worked up. Sad thing is, it works. My college-educated cousin who grew up Catholic like me but then married a Jew, moved to Madison, Wis., and somehow became an evangelical fundamentalist in the process (beats me, as her history marks her as least likely fundie of all time) was simultaneously on Facebook singing the praises of the new Arizona law while whooping it up about some district court judge who allowed a creche on public property. There's red meat that people just gobble up. It's sad.

11. WS

WS Member

fixed

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wandy Rodriguez might have something to worry about. In an SI interview recently, he revealed that he used a friend's identity the first couple of season he was in Houston's organization because he feared the Astros wouldn't sign him if they knew how old he was.

Draft saved Draft deleted