1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UAW - Game Over!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No wonder you have such faith in supply side economics!

If we can all just hang on a little longer, the trickle down is projected to reach the upper middle class sometime around 2067 and it shouldn't be long after that before it reaches the middle class itself (assuming there's one left by then).

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just re-read through SigR's posts... I can't find the post on supply side economics. He posted some basic Econ 101 stuff about market economies.

Nothing about supply side economics... nothing about government policies designed to create incentives for people to create goods and services... nothing about any other policy initiatives.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder how much this lawyer sitting between Clemens and MacNamee is billing MLB for his time. He's lucky they aren't paying him by the word.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I think someone's lost.

5. cranberry

6. The Big Ragu

Point taken, cranberry... That could be construed as a supply side view, I guess. I read right through it.

7. It could be construed that way, true.
    It's more absolutist laissez-faire generality, though, and that isn't necessarily summed up by "supply-side," which is a nonsensical theory regarding taxation and government revenues. But our boy sig is arguing the underlying philosophy out of which grew the nonsense that is supply-side economics.

8. The Big Ragu

Interesting thought. In macroeconomic terms, Fenian, what makes it nonsense?

9. Well, it was a fringe theory cooked up by crackpots at the ESJ that to this day has no real widespread support among economists. The two times it's been tried have resulted in horrendous deficits.
    And I can suggest a reading list you can argue with:
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Con-Washington-Hoodwinked-Economics/dp/0618685405/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202935749&sr=8-1

http://www.cbpp.org/3-8-06tax.htm
    http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2007/07/cbo-supply-side.html
    http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/5Debt.htm
    I suggest the Cromer paper from Cal entitled (I think) "Starving The Beast," as well.
    And that last one is the giveaway. Supply-side is a classic example of a nonsensical economic theory devised to fit a specific political agenda. The first goal was to lower taxes on the wealthy. (David Stockman famously told William Greider in the Atlantic that supply-side was a "Trojan horse" for lowering the top rate.) It's second goal was to starve the government of revenue so as to get rid of programs of which the Reagan people disapproved. There were no corresponding cutbacks in military spending, which is part of the reason the deficits exploded, and part of the reason Stockman eventually quit. Having covered the Reagan campaign in 1980, I can tell you they were quite open about these two goals, and supply-side was the quack nostrum they used to get their way.
    Hence, by the way, the recession of 1982.

10. cranberry

Fenian could always hit Arthur Laffer's curve.

11. The "trickle" in trickle down economics is a Republican pissing on my head.

12. The Big Ragu

I actually don't know if it works or we just lose revenue and don't get growth...

I do know that we haven't been on the gold standard since 1971. What are the two times you are referencing?

Draft saved Draft deleted