1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UAW - Game Over!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's a big country, Boom. America, from Seattle to Florida, was built on a lot more than crappy cars and their suppliers.

2. SigR

SigR Member

Wealth is unlimited. It's a popular misperception that it isn't. The only thing that limits wealth is non-market intervention, e.g. government.

Those who participated as the "oppressed" working class during the industrial revolution were, in terms of absolute wealth, much wealthier than their counterparts 100 years before. yes, there wasn't much of a middle-class, but then, what is a "middle-class". Two cars in the garage and a low-interest mortgage? It's all about standard of living, and the only real standard one ought to be allowed to compare anything to is living in a cave and hunting/gathering food. Anything better than that is "more wealth". And the world keeps creating "more wealth", and just by sheer market mechanics, it becomes increasingly distributed among everyone willing to work for it. The only impediment is government sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong.

The other note that should be made, as a corrollary to wealth being unlimited: Two entities can trade and *both* become wealthier for the trade. That's the beauty of free trade...that by specializing in what we do best and then trading with others, we can create more wealth as a "whole". It's basic economics, and it is sad that many don't understand it.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You're saying that because some woman with two kids who works at Wal-Mart for eight bucks an hour lives in a crappy apartment in a shitty part of town instead of a cave in Africa somewhere, she ought to be happy about it? Ladies and gentlemen, give Ayn Rand a big (invisible) hand, won't you?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think Ragu has found a soulmate. :D

5. SigR

SigR Member

Nah, she shouldn't be happy about it. But she could always be living in a cave if there wasn't walmart to give her the job and meager standard of living. Perhaps if she hadn't had kids and invested in herself instead, she could be earning more. Or, maybe she *is* happy working a low-wage job and not having any responsibility (assuming she hadn't had kids).

And yes, Adam Smith and I will give Rand an invisible round of applause.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Somebody push this guy down the laffer slide.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe GM can give its employees discounts on tickets to NASCAR events, one of the many Buick golf tourneys it sponsors or a pirated copy of Roger and Me.

Found it interesting to hear on a talk show that differential in health care costs make up most of the difference between a GM car and a similar import.
    No, our health care system is just fine the way it is.

I'm a Ford guy. Best car I've ever owned and they keep offering me stuff to trade it in and get a new one.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A few years ago, I spent time in a NASCAR bar or two, announcing that GM was going the way of Herbert Hoover.

I did not get a kind reception.

Wonder how the good ol' boys are rationalizing their willful blindness, now?

9. I knew it would be great.
    I didn't know it would be THIS great.
    Hunter-gathering as a standard for economic progress?
    "Oppressed" in quotations for the working class in the Industrial Revolution?
    To hell with the Great Society and the Fair Deal and the New Deal, let's roll back TR's Square Deal! Let's kick Leo XIII's ass on trade unions. Hell, let's bust up those Dutch guilds. In fact, fuck Nineveh.
    Priceless. Truly.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Ayn no mountain high enough.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ayn too proud to beg.

Draft saved Draft deleted