1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UAW - Game Over!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SigR

SigR Member

In terms of raw wealth, even the upper "lower class" is far wealthier than any "middle" class was 100 years ago. People are forever looking at comparitive wealth instead of absolute wealth. Yeah, there are poor people today when you compare them with middle-class today. But absolute wealth shows that people live longer, eat better, and have far more leisure time, disposable income and property than ever before.

The reason for this progress is simple: free market capitalism. Which necessitates that there is a "capital" class who has an abundance of wealth in order to create the jobs that everybody else relies on to live a comfortable life. It's easy to throw up our fists at the corporations and shout things like "cruel" and "heartless", but when we feel like doing that we also ought to remember that the corporations have been the prime creators of absolute wealth by providing jobs and a competitive market-place where everyone has an incentive to do their best.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And the left-wing shout-down begins in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

3. Corporations provide a competitive marketplace.
    BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Your sensible arguments will have no place here. Warning you.
    And I must say as a longtime industry watcher (and mechanic), good ol' Murican engineers and management share in the U.S. auto industry's misery. They aren't hourly. But the hourly workers probably deserve about half the blame.

5. Please explain the historic role of the untrammelled, unregulated corporation in creating a viable and functioning middle class, without the benefit of organized labor. Please cite examples.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

short of not allowing Toyota to build plants here I am not sure what else could be done.

There is no really easy way to unwind what has been built up over the years.

The older airlines are in the same boat. How can they possibly compete with the Jet Blues of the world.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You should know better... Secretary Foof serves President Stupid.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I still fail to see what this has to do with the price of (cars) in China.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've said this before, two friends of mine have fathers who worked in the auto industry. We were all sitting around not too long ago shooting the shit. And back about eight years ago when my friends were wondering what to do during and after college the auto industry was a huge attraction. Well none of us ended up working there. Anyway, just a while back, when all this job loss started happening and buyouts were coming around, the one father says to the other father "We really fucked it up for the next generation, didn't we?" meaning the union bled the industry dry, and forced auto makers to look to Mexico for cheaper labor.

10. Boom_70

Thats interesting . Seems like just the opposit for the NFL retirees. They left something for the young bucks and now the vets are sucking eggs

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Small businesses in a large part built this country, IMO. More than GM or Ford. A good many of them were incorporated, and most if not all non-union.

12. Boom_70

But in some direct or indirect manner many of those companies were supported by GM and Ford. Go to a town with an auto plant and count the businesses that exist as direct result of the plant.

Draft saved Draft deleted