1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U2 mania all over again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Or Boy for that matter.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Yep, forgot about Boy. (I should be flogged for that.)

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Still my fave U2 album. Tons o' energy....

4. The Granny

The Granny Guest

That's how I feel about Unforgettable Fire. Sort of Homecoming one of my favorite tracks ever. And I wouldn't even call myself a "U2 kind of gal."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It would be such a better album if the sound wasn't so muted.... muffled.

6. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Granny nailed it. "A Sort of Homecoming" is phenomenal, especially live, though I hate how they took a verse out on Wide Awake in America. And as for "Bad" live, well, just go back and take a look/listen to Live Aid. So yes, Unforgettable Fire is just a stellar release. And the song "Unforgettable Fire" is a fave of mine. Just takes me way back really quickly.

Boy is fantastic in its own way. I like the last few songs more than the first few. "Out of Control" has always been a favorite, as has "A Day Without Me."

As Bob said, the J-Tree still likely remains a seminal moment. That three-release run of Unforgettable Fire, J-Tree and Achtung Baby (and squeezing quite a bit of new material onto Rattle and Hum in between the studio releases of JT and AB), I would guess most any band would be thrilled to put out even one release as good as any of those. Ripping off three (four?) in a row was unreal.

I was keeping my anticipation pretty much under control until Italian started this thread. Now I can't get it out of my head.

7. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

BTW, do any of you have that first release, prior to Boy, called U2 Three? It's got "Out of Control," "Stories for Boys" and "Boy/Girl" on it. I don't know if it was ever pressed to CD; in fact, the release was a 7" on vinyl, IIRC. A good friend of mine had it way back when.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

War (1983) made that a run of five unbelievable albums.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

And since Achtung Baby, U2's career has been a mainstream success and a musically craptacular.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't own it, have never seen it on CD. Only time I saw it it was a high-priced import way back in the day.

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I can't disagree with that at all, certainly from a fan standpoint. War was a breakthrough -- between that and the Red Rocks show getting Under a Blood Red Sky out, that's likely what helped Unforgettable Fire come off as strong as it did in the U.S. You're all over it, 2much.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

U2's version of The Ramones Beat on the Brat is probably the worst cover I've ever heard.

Draft saved Draft deleted