1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U2 ALERT -- UPDATE: FIRST TWO LEGS OF TOUR ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daveevansedge, Mar 3, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Re: U2 ALERT -- Amazon offering full new album download for $3.99

IATS? I looked in the style guide and have no idea what that means.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

According to the internet:

IATS Integrated Automated Travel System
    IATS Intake Air Temperature Sensor
    IATS International Automated Transactions Services
    IATS Intermediate Avionics Test Set
    IATS Information Access and Technology Services (University of Missouri - Columbia)
    IATS Integrated Army Travel System
    IATS Information Assurance Tracking System
    IATS Iowa Athletic Trainers Society

So, one of those I guess.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go with "Inarguable Among The Sane."

First thing I did when I got up this morning was check to see how much the new U2 was going to be on Amazon. I was quite happy to drop the $3.99.

4. ArnoldBabar

Wouldn't you love to see schieza's music library?

And many thanks to dave for posting this -- a nice surprise.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

My two choices: a) paying nothing and taking 15 minutes to download basically any album ever recorded or b) forking over $10-15 in most cases for an album that will include three or four listenable songs. It's unethical, it's stealing...but it's a no brainer.

In this economic state, it wouldn't be possible to fill my iPod in any other way, not with rent, bills, gas, insurance, food, etc.

6. schiezainc

The difference is filling your iPod isn't a necessity. It's a luxury. This isn't like stealing a loaf of bread to feed your children. This is you being a selfish prick and only caring about yourself.

Like it or not, those artists work hard to put out product and you're basically telling them to go f*** themselves, that you deserve the music for free more than they deserve to be compensated for the time they put into making that music.

I sincerely hope your iPod breaks.

Of course, I'm sure you'll then go into an Apple store and demand they give you a free one. I mean, it's not like you should--god forbid--have to pay for the right to enjoy music.

7. ArnoldBabar

c) going without things you're not able or willing to pay for

I know, that's just crazy talk.

8. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Wow, folks. This thread took a wild little spin on the ethics of downloading.

I downloaded it, paid the $3.99. And I'll probably buy the CD, too, but I'm a ridiculously big fan and have been for a long time. And I'm the first to admit Bono is as pretentious as they come. Just one of those things I can't reconcile, and I can't wait for the tour, either.

Again, just glad this was helpful to those who were seeking it out. I'm listening right now, and I'm pretty damn pleased, particularly since I was non-plussed by "Get On Your Boots."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Chicken dinner.

And "Magnificent" is a fucking awesome song.

10. schiezainc

I didn't want to sidetrack this and turn this into a "us vs. them" debate but I get really pissed when people argue they should just be able to download whatever they want for free.

Look, I've done it. I think we all have. But there's a difference between downloading something you're unsure of and just doing it so that you know the album doesn't suck vs. knowing you're going to like the music and downloading it just as a means of ripping off an artist.

If you like a group, why not support them?

If your justification is that you're just paying back the record industry for the price gauging of the 90's, then, that's fine but where does it stop? Because eventually, that group you like isn't going to be able to survive without actual fans going out and actually buying their music.

And there's no excuse in this thread in particular. If you can't pony up $3.99 for a CD U2 spent years working on, then you don't deserve to have the music. Simple. End. Of. Thread.

I've seen way too many groups I like fall to the wayside because too many people felt too entitled to spend money to support them.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The concert industry raked in a record profit last year in America - not including merchandise sales - so let's not underestimate the ability of rock musicians to rake in tons of cash even with declining album sales.

12. schiezainc

Just because artists rake in tons of money on tour doesn't mean we can justify people illegally downloading music. It's still illegal.

In fact, that's like saying that it's OK for 2,000 fans to sneak into the concert without paying because the other 12,000 did pay.

Draft saved Draft deleted