1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U-T San Diego buying North County Times, or maybe not

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Sep 10, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, sounds like it was an absolute bloodbath.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The sports writers at the smaller paper always get torched whenever there is a merger. Usually, only the prep guys survive.
    This happened to me many moons ago. I was at spring training in Florida when my paper was sold to a chain that also owned a paper nearby that was bigger than mine.
    Consolidating the beat was probable.
    So I kicked myself in the ass during spring training and vowed that I would be so much better than the beat person (who was a good friend) at the other paper that it would be totally obvious ... if anybody in management was paying attention.
    I kicked ass for 3 months, then they began implementing the sharing content plan and I was pulled from the beat.
    A simple example of politics outweighing everything else.

3. writingump

writingump Member

Sports usually gets it right between the eyes in this situation. Too many suits who have no respect for sports or sportswriters as a whole. Been around those types before and man, is it maddening.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is the plan to print a combined U-T and NCT? I would assume so but I have not read a definitive statement to that effect.

I do admit to being obtuse and frequently ignoring the obvious so forgive what I suspect is a stupid question

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it might be a content-sharing arrangement, like with all the Singleton papers in the Bay Area? If the cuts are as bad as rumored, I can't see them doubling up on, say, the Padres, Aztecs or Chargers.

Oh and for those who asked uptopic, Peggy Champan sighting here today. She'll be our temp publisher since ours just took a marketing gig in LA outside the company.

6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Doubt it will be shared content just from talking with some of the people there. 79 people overall were laid off. Word is NTC will print for two more weeks and then word will come down as to what's next. I'm not sure anybody knows but Papa Doug.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The most up-to-date information I could find doesn't include anything new on Papa Doug's plans for the NC Times beyond two weeks. KPBS says 24 newsroom jobs were axed, with 3 in sports. Heart goes out to everyone out there. Won't hold my breath but here's to hoping an enterprise that actually practices journalism sprouts up in San Diego County sometime soon.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/oct/02/north-county-times-employees-given-notice-after-ut/

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

It was 3 sports writers, but 9 total in sports.

2 p/t phone clerks, 3 writers (padres, chargers and prep writer), 4 desk/copy editors.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You just linked to one that does.

Here's another: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org.

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Agreed Buck. Both meet that standard. I was thinking more along the lines of a viable daily print competitor. Yeah, I know. Pipe dream.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So let me see if I understand that the paper fired its local beat reporters for all pro teams??? The UT SD will keep all its Chargers, Padres and Prep, but NCT fired one each on the beat or the beat in general?

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

UT San Diego ownership is now looking into buying the Tribune Company: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/oct/18/ut-san-diego-owner-doug-manchester-shows-interest-/

Draft saved Draft deleted