1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. youth using British expressions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Aug 26, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I thought Lou Reed and John Cale had already outed your granddad as the biggest H-fiend between Minneapolis and Seattle. I recall something about that in their memoirs of Velvet Underground days.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

So, I'm guessing ciao, gracias, hasta la vista, Gesundheit!, bon appetit, au revoir, etc., are all out of the question?

3. writing irish

Of course not. Here in Texas, we always say "ciao" for goodbye. Usually accompanied by a little kiss noise.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My first instructor pilot was a Brit. When he'd piss me off, I'd just ask him what he did for the Fourth of July.

I did pick up a couple of phrases, though.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I use "Regards" ... the minute it becomes overused, I'll likely change.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I use my name.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

See, I lived in Germany for three years. I picked up some phrases there that I use to this day. Like bitte, and danke.

Getting upset about someone using cheers or no worries is just plain stupid. It's like using flat for apartment or torch for flashlight. Jeebus, get over it.

8. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

I blame Harry Potter.

Cheers,

RJ

9. writing irish

Danke!

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Whingers.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I spelled pretty much everything in British style when I played an online roleplaying game for a year and a half or so. An overwhelming majority of my friends hailed from the U.K. or Canada, so I figured I'd adapt. The only thing I recall still spelling in American style was the word "maneuver."

Using British English doesn't bother me unless you expect me to run it in an American newspaper.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How has no one mentioned cun+? Has no one seen a Guy Ritchie movie? The good ones, I mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted