1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. vs. Iran: It's on like Donkey Kong

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/11/AR2007011100427.html

U.S. troops raided an Iranian consulate in northern Iraq late Wednesday night and detained several people, Iran's main news agency reported today, prompting protests from Tehran just hours after President Bush pledged to crack down on the Islamic Republic's role in Iraqi violence.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm sure our victory in Iran will be swift. Our mission will soon be accomplished.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Late to the party on this, F_B. U.S. already detained some Iranian diplomats that were visiting Jalal Talabani a few weeks back.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I used to like Donkey Kong. Smashing barrels, eating ice-cream sundaes. Those were some good times.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I love the sarcasm font.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I had the first 24 levels of Donkey Kong memorized once. They could've used me, and we'd be outta there by now.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I only remember seeing the first five levels. There are more than 24??

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, yeah. Even the same layouts had different ways of going through them the second, third, etc. times through. A matter of speed.

9. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Donkey Kong was sweet but could get old quick.

Dig Dug, Track & Field, and Spyhunter were the best of the old school arcade games.

If I had to choose one I would say Spyhunter (& I know my games). Lots of variety, lots of action, land & sea mix, racing with weapons & tough opponents. Still playable even today. Machine guns, missiles, & oil slicks, what else do you need?

As to Iran. Hey, whatever you think about Iraq & Bush, Iran is a serious problem.

We have to figure something out there as there is no way Israel will let them get a nuke. It is a big problem.

10. Well, that was one hell of a segue.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hasn't Israel already suggested it might use bunker-busting nukes to go after Iran's nuke program? And, if so, isn't it their way of pushing the US to act first?

12. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Yes & yes Cranberry.

However, I know a lot of Israelis & study politics real close.

From what I can tell & Israel's history they are serious, as they should be, Iran wants to destroy them - that is pretty clear - either directly or via proxy (Hezbollah).

My take is that worst case scenario if Iran gets nukes is that you won't see them launch anything but will have a nuked up version of a suicide bomber or short range rocket/missile attack via one of their proxies & then God help us.

It is a dangerous situation.

Regime change in Iran is likely needed (as most of the people are pro-west & cool). The question is how & can we afford containment at this stage?

That is the $1M question the world will face this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted