1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. troops' latrine graffiti in Kuwait, Afghanistan-some NSFW

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I'm talking about debates, not stories. The people who scream "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!" when you tell them there is no reason for us to be in Iraq.
    I've had that debate countless times with people over the past five years.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, I don't think that's what he was implying at all TBF.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OK, I've never heard anyone say even a few soldiers like being there. Have you?

Who on earth WOULD want to be there?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's absolutely not a point I'd argue, because I agree with you fully. I just don't think that DemoChristian was implying any of that. His point was more to those who think any criticism about the war equals lack of support for the troops. Kind of a hard opinion to have when even the troops don't want to be there.

Personally, I think with such a large portion of the population against the war, it's more than appropriate to do a story like this, letting people know what some soldiers think.

We talk all the time about reaching the readers. Well, with the way public opinion rests right now, isn't this story a case of trying to reach the readers?

5. I have had arguments with people who claim the soldiers want to be in Iraq. They say you aren't supporting the troops if you try to bring them home, because they haven't finished doing the job.
    They say they are over there "defending our freedom."
    Now, in the history of this country, the troops have defended our freedom from start to finish. I could never fully express my gratitude for that. But they aren't doing it by being Iraq, anymore than they were doing so by being in Vietnam.
    I greatly appreciate everyone who signs up to serve our country. I'd love to see them all come home safety like right fucking now.
    But I'm telling you, there are those on the right side of the aisle who will legitimately claim that makes me anti-troop.

6. And thank you, AA, for helping me express those points while I had a busy day.

Draft saved Draft deleted