1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Supreme Court declines to take gay marriages cases

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Get serious. We're talking about consent.

States vary already on age of consent. That's just a lawyer and a political movement from happening.

Which is really what this is all about.

Either that or a tax revenue from the "marriage penalty."

Tough thing is that 13-year-olds aren't good taxpaying citizens.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If we're talking about consent, what's the opposition to gay marriage? One has nothing to do with the other, legally.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

What's the legitimate reason to ban same sex marriage? I think the judges have run rampant over anything there.

And I'm not saying straight to 12. Rights have a way of stretching their legs over time...it's evolving. It will be 15 first, then in one state 14, then 13...... one will adopt group marriage, then another....

5. Dick Whitman

You tell me.

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I don't know Dick. I'm listening to the judges who are teaching the masses. They aren't finding it.

Norms will always be challenged. Freedoms, or lack of, will be challenged.

It won't be tomorrow, or a year, but watch the concept of marriage widen to add those groups, over time.

To put a period on this statement of change right now is just plain naive.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Over time, laws governing the age of consent have raised that age, not lowered it.

8. Dick Whitman

Do you agree with them then?

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I'm not talking about either specifically, I'm talking about marriage freedom, and limits to freedom. Historically they have expanded to take in various issues. What's so difficult to understand that if it's about marriage freedom that other groups will eventually mount a challenge to it?

Otherwise, you have to admit gay marriage is not about marriage freedom but something else.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So if the LGBT community doesn't support eliminating age-of-consent laws, they don't care about freedom? I think you've skipped a few steps there.

11. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Did I not say this was an evolutionary process? Show me where I said it was immediate.

You really can't be that dense.

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I've explained it enough.
    Now would someone explain what the cost is (Sj donation? Political party membership?) that allows certain political threads to stay up and others not. What's the acceptable donation level?

Draft saved Draft deleted