1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. steps up covert ops in Iran

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 29, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Given your age, spnited, I'm a little surprised that you'd take such a view on covert ops. They are, unfortunately, a necessity, although the extreme to which this one is being done apparently, is rather far beyond the pale.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It would be one thing if they were good and we were evil, but it's the other way around.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all. And it wouldn't surprise me if the Brits, Israelis, Canadians or any other country was doing it either.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Really? It wouldn't surprise you if foreign military units carrying weapons were sneaking around in the woods?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise you if the Canadian prime minister had authorized sending covert ops into the U.S. to kill and kidnap targeted Americans?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Military units would surprise me.

Covert ops and spying? Not so much.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

OK, I think we've established that your definition of covert ops is different from what the story describes.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can get 4-1 odds on InTrade if you believe either the US or Israel will launch an overt air strike against Iran by 9/30.

This has been a public service announcement.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does anybody think it's irresponsible for a news agency to report that we're doing this, that it might jeopardize national security?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I am sure somebody does. Given that our stated policies have already achieved the jeopardy of which you speak, I'm not one to give the government the benefit of the doubt here.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think that same question was asked during the Vietnam War and some of the leaks at the time. And I think the answer now, as then, is no, it's not irresponsible.

Let me clarify....in this instance, no, I don't feel it's irresponsible. It's doubtful the Iranians are going to read this story and exclaim, "Wah? The Americans have been kidnapping and killing some of our leaders?"

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If we're seriously stupid enough to invade Iran, get ready to pay $10 a gallon. Minimum.

Draft saved Draft deleted