1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. steps up covert ops in Iran

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The question remains:

"Sure, Dick -- you, and what army?"

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

We'll go in, topple the regime, get greeted as liberators, use oil to finance the reconstruction and leave with a burgeoning democracy in the Middle East.

What could go wrong?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That really made me laugh. I think the Republicans are just setting up for a win in 2012.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here's a partial list, for the sarcasm-impaired.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/06/30/iraq.mistakes/index.html

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My point is that, regardless of the administration, we should be conducting covert operations to keep an eye on our enemies and, more often than not, the public will never know if we are.

We'll never know about all the cladestine operations that took place under Clinton's watch (or any other president) but we can assume he was doing something.

And that's not a bad thing.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hear there's a large group of journalists who are now out of work. They can be put in the draft pool.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So tell me, AQB, if we do not do covert ops against our so-called enemies in Iran, what will happen?
    So you honestly think Iran is going to lanch an unprovoked nuclear (or nucular for those who speak Bush) attack against the United States?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've got zero problem with covert ops in virtually any nation. What they (covert ops people) know (or should know) is a lot more than what we know.

My problem is that I fear this is a ramping up of efforts to take real military action against Iran. And that is unthinkable at this point.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The problem with that view, AQB, is it doesn't sound like we're merely talking about routine espionage procedures to "keep an eye on our enemy" here, at least not if this piece is accurate. Re-read this excerpt:

Now, from my reading, that basically means we're illegally going into Iran to kill and/or kidnap targeted Iranian citizens. And WITH presidential approval. That ain't just spying. If another country were doing that in the United States, I've no doubt we'd be clamoring to go to war.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For those here broadly in favor of our "covert ops" overseas, how differently would you feel to find out that Iran or North Korea or Russia were running them here, against us?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, jg. You're smarter than that.
    You know it's OK for us to do it but it's an act of war for them to do it.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm actually not. I rely mostly on sunny ignorance and hopeless optimism.

Draft saved Draft deleted