1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. soccer media director vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She's not with the tema for the next game?

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're too much. ::)

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yeah, they got her, didn't they!

I hope they get wrecked in the third-place game. Couple of own goals, you know.

I would never wish anyone ab injury, but if Scurry gets hurt, what's gonna happen. They would deserve all that.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Agreed!

Maybe she'll let me play the role of Han Solo and we can make babies.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm sure she's a sucker for Star Wars puns on her name. She'll be overwhelmed by your originality.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If he was so bleeping smart, he would have understood that the only players on the U.S. team after that game worth interviewing were Solo and Scurry.
    The guy couldn't have been that good if he failed to understand where the story was.

8. Just fantastic...of all the national team sports, what Solo did was very American. Hopefully she doesn't regret it at all, she certainly need not. And she gives credibility to women athletes being in control. Can't say as much for the other goalie. Don't even like this sport, but what Solo did for Americans and American women with this episode, could certainly be compared to Brandy Chastane. The only thing better would have been if she called the coach a fucking cocksucker.

9. weak...he's drawing a comparison to fascism. Get over it.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Indeed!

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The issue is that "the story" with this team has always been a feel-good one. They're pioneers, they're role models, they're "the true soccer moms." All of that stuff has faded significantly since 1999, and the novelty has worn off. They've rarely -- if ever -- been simply treated as a world-class soccer team, rather than a human-interest story. Last week, things changed. A puzzling personnel decision piqued the media's interest, and the ensuing fallout pushed it off the charts. And the PR guy from U.S. Soccer wasn't at all prepared for his team to be taken seriously, the way other teams in other sports are.

I will, however, give Sunil Gulati (the U.S. Soccer president) a little credit for admitting what Heifetz seemed to reject -- that it's good that people back home were talking about the goalkeeper controversy, that they cared about it. That kind of passion is what the sport needs to grow; it can't be just "a great take for the family" forever.

12. Just for the record, nothing was taken out of context.

Draft saved Draft deleted