1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. soccer media director vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will second what others have said: Overall, Aaron had done a fabulous job with the promotion of that team.

But he was wrong here.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

You're right....posted as a blog on her myspace (and quoted as such on the WWL):
    2007 worldcup

To all my old fans, to all my new fans, and to those who find me disgraceful,

I have felt compelled to clear the air regarding many of my postgame comments on Thursday night. I am not proud or happy the way things have come out. Although I stand strong in everything I said, the true disheartening moment for me was realizing it could look as though I was taking a direct shot at my own teamate. I would never throw such a low blow. Never. Many of this goes way beyond anyone's understanding, and is simply hard to justify. In my eyes there is no justification to put down a teamate. That is not what i was doing. I am confidant in knowing that i would have made a major difference on the field. I have to believe that. I have to believe that I should have been on the field or why am I a professional trying to be the very best? I also have agreed to disagree with our head coach and I stand firm in my beliefs that it was the wrong decision. However, to put down a teamate was never, ever my intent. I only wanted to speak of my own abilities yet also recognize that the past is the past. Things were taken out of context, or analyzed differently from my true meaning of my own words. for that I am sorry. I hope everybody will come to know I have a deep respect for this team and for Bri. For all of whom I disappointed I am truly sorry. There is a fine line of being a professional and being yourself. I can only do what I feel is right, and then hope that my true meaning is understood. I have an uphill battle now, and I have already suffered many consequences. For those who have been in my corner, your support means more than you'll ever know. I cannot thank you all enough. Truly there are too many to respond back to. I feel very fortunate to have the many different people from all different ages, countries, and personalities, standing behind me. It is extremely humbling. I only wish I could tell you all individually. For those who despise me, well, I can only hope that in due time you can find the understanding needed to forgive me.

all the best,

Hope
    (blog copied, unedited)

http://profile.myspace.com/119877178
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=467563&cc=5901

From the story:

(Ryan) said Friday he could live with his move, but suggested Solo had broken an unwritten team code by speaking out openly.
    "Players have the right to say whatever they want to say," Ryan said. "You want to go out in front of everybody and stand together."
    "I do know that the players are concerned," Ryan said. "But, you know, I don't want to comment on their reaction."
    Ryan also said the team's code "has always been the players always supported one other."
    Ryan said he had not decided who will start in Sunday's third-place game against Norway.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

<b>Correction:</b> In a Friday comment the poster known as Lester Bangs made a tasteless characterization of college sports public relations personnel. The line should have read "College SIDs are a bunch of fascist tools paid to brainwash 18-22 year olds into spewing the company line without regard for truth or actual human realities." The poster known as Lester Bangs regrets the error.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I figured that would be in her next statement or interview.

I don't think her original comments were widely interpreted as a shot at Scurry, a direct shot. IMO she was ripping the coach for his decision.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, ducky. I now have more respect for Hope than ever.

Her critics can label this spin ... that's their right. But she stands behind her statement while making it clear that she has no issue with Scurry. I believe I said as much somewhere upthread or on the running soccer thread.

She'll take the bullets and she and the team will move forward.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thank you, your last 2-3 sentences was pretty much what I was going to say. When the men's WC team flamed out in Germany, it was "chokers, underachievers, they'll never be Brazil". The women lose, it's nothing like that.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Would this even be a discussion, beyond the single, all-purpose, running soccer thread if Nike hadn't touted this team, then got whipped 4-0 by Brazil with the usual starting goalkeeper justifiably bashing the coach for a meltdown-type of decision in the aftermath?

We know the answer. If the U.S. had won 1-0 or 2-1, a couple of talking heads probably would have given this a brief mention and a couple of websites and newspapers would have gone on business as usual.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

USA Today's short sidebar on it credited ESPN. "Solo talked to ESPN . . ."

And I'll second those who say Aaron Heifetz has been a good PR dude. Very easy to deal with.

He just made a mistake in a tough position on this.

And reading her blog . . . . damn, I wish she hadn't said "out of context." The context is that you were pissed following the shellacking.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

All credit to Hope Solo. She said what she said to CBC and didn't back away from it, even after it caused a shitstorm.

If only more athletes had her integrity.

10. cortez

cortez Member

"Come after me. I'm 41!''

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hope didn't say a single thing that I didn't 100 percent agree with. The honesty of her quote was completely refreshing considering all of the cliche'd garbage I have to sift through on a daily basis.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I mean, after a 4-0 loss (the equivalent of 16-0 in baseball, 70-0 in football and 166-83 in basketball), what the hell does anybody expect Hope Solo, the benched goalie, to say?

"Oh yeah, I'm sure I would have let in all those goals too." ::)

U.S. loses 1-0 or 2-1, Solo doesn't have much to say. 4-0, there's not much else she COULD say.

Draft saved Draft deleted