1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. soccer media director vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My guess is, Aaron knew Hope was pissed and he was worried about her doing exactly what she ended up doing. He definitely handled it wrong but from his perspective, I can see why he felt the need to try and do something.

Kudos to Hope for standing up for herself, and of course kudos to Erin for doing her job well.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I love the part where the writer talks about ESPN 'borrowing' some clips of Solo talking. And I'm sure ESPN gave full credit where it was due when it did, as well.

::)

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've thought for years that women's sports - the U.S. WNT in particular - has been covered too nicey nice. The WWC win was awesome, but usually when the women lose, it's all "They played such a good game, Norway was just better" and so on.

Not only was Hope Solo screwed by her coach (at least when it comes to yesterday), but the U.S. team fucking choked and got their asses handed to them like they haven't before. Maybe Aaron should thank Hope Solo for taking the spotlight off a complete ass beating. I'd like to hear someone in the press call the team out - why are they no longer the best team in the world? What's happened to U.S. women's soccer? I know the world has caught up, but to the point where the U.S. gets their asses ripped in the World Cup? Even the U.S. men haven't lost like that since they were fuzzy-faced college boys against Czechoslovakia in 1990.

End of rant! :)

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good for Hope and bad move by the PR guy. Take the good with the good and the bad with the bad. She wanted to talk, and thankfully for all of us, she did.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Work with Erin. She's very talented, and learned well from her father, Bill, was one heckuva news reporter (now retired).

That's a long assignment -- over one month in China. Glad to see she's getting some recognition for it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're just girls. Stop picking on them you big bully...

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I know. I apologize. ;)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great blog; what a PR boob (no pun intended)

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think this is a really interesting point, and one that we are, for the most part, not willing to touch in the media. But in some ways, it dovetails with the discussion of college athletes. When people say they want more coverage, they don't really mean it. They want more PR. A lot of people involved in women's sports want to play the "we deserve the same respect as men" card, but then when shit goes bad, those same people freak out when the media takes the kid gloves off. When the US men's olympic or world cup teams screw up and squabble, we go at them guns ablaze.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Man, when Solo told the douchebag flack that she'd talk to whoever the hell she wanted to ... just, wow. Nobody puts Baby in a corner, bitch!

I get so tired of the college SIDs telling kid who and about what they can talk ... and the college kids listen, as if their First Amendment rights were somehow waived when they signed the LOI. College SIDs are a bunch of fucking Nazis. Oh sure, they'll say the kids can talk to whoever they want, but the SID, coach and AD will bring down hellfire should they actually have an original thought. </disgruntled college guy>

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

understand your point and don't disagree

for me, comparing inept sports information directors with Nazis, who murdered 7 million Jews, is inappropriate

12. Hope Solo is effing hot!

That's all I got.

Draft saved Draft deleted