1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. soccer media director vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

For all of you who have seen Hope Solo's comments after the U.S. loss to Brazil Thursday, there's a lot more to the story.

This is a first-hand account of the writer who got Hope to talk:

The most amazing part about this is the U.S. soccer media director's gall to try and tell the writer who they can and can't talk to.

Also, it's awesome to see an athlete like Solo to not be afraid to go against authority and let her true feelings be heard.
    Just once, wouldn't it be cool to see a Notre Dame football player do this?
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome blog (which I noted on the other thread you posted it.)

I get the feeling Solo is already regretting her words and/or her decision to talk. She was correct, of course, and it makes for a great story. But I don't think she'll be speaking out quite like this any time soon.
  3. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

"Don't you ever tell me what interviews I can do."

Bravo, Hope Solo. And great job by Erin Paul.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

What totally inappropriate actions by the PR guy. I was an SID for six years, and while there were situations I wish would have never happened or would just go away, I never kept a player from talking to the media. If the player didn't want to talk, that was one thing, but I never made that decision for him/her.
  5. Ben There

Ben There Guest

Anyone who has covered the WNT has a hard time looking this press officer in the face after his actions in 1999, when he horned in on the celebration of Brandi Chastain's winning penalty kick.

Nice vest.
  6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

What? He was playing a wedding that night. He's the keyboardist for a Rick Astley cover band.
  7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've run an Olympic mixed zone before. The PR guy, who I am unfamiliar with, was out of line.
  8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Heifetz has done a lot of good work with that program; the players were so accessible back in the '90s, and that went a long way toward the unexpected success of the World Cup here in '99. But he's also an unabashed fan (as the ghastly-vest celebration indicates), and I get the sense that he wasn't ready for his team to be treated with the kind of critical eye that more "mainstream" teams/sports get. Of course reporters wanted to talk to Solo; don't play the role of papa bear. She's 25. She can make her own decisions. And don't tell the reporters who they should want to talk to. Grow up, Aaron.
  9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Don't have the opportunity to read the blog right now, but I'll second the thought that Aaron has been with the program a long time and has done a lot of good work.
  10. Ben There

Ben There Guest

And they whined about the lack of press coverage for the team.

You want coverage? You're about to get a lot of it.
  11. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Butbutbut, she's just a kid!

Well, almost a kid.

25? Oh yeah. She's been an adult (legally) for seven years.

What a PR tool.
  12. What am I looking at, here?
Draft saved Draft deleted