1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. senator touts newspaper non-profit bill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm not smart enough to know if this will work or not, but it would be nice.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The idea appeals. God knows the current business model isn't working, so just about anything different is worth a shot.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Vote for Cardin -- early and often!
  4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The way things are going now, newspapers are non-profit, in terms of making a profit.
  5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bull. Most papers make a certain amount of money in and of themselves, even now.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

No big shock that most of the comments are dittoheads decrying this is as an alternative to the fairness doctrine. First they shut up Rush with the fairness doctrine, then they're "subsidizing the Liberal Left."
  7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'd guess the majority of papers are still making a profit, just not enough of a profit to pay the debt service brought on by greedy corporate management.
  8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The paper where I work is owned by a non profit, but damned if I ever heard us pushing that our advertising was tex-deductable. Hmmm.
  9. bmm

bmm Member

I don't care for newspapers not being able to endorse political candidates. You start that slippery slope with that stuff. Then if you write a positive article about a candidate, that could be seen as an endorsement if perverted correctly. I'd also add this doesn't pass First Amendment mustard.
  10. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Some of the comments that followed that article are downright scary. And just plain ignorant.
  11. Mediator

Mediator Member

I like the idea, at least on first glance. St. Petersburg is based on that model and the Poynter Institute is a strong voice for serious journalism. I would hope that a non-profit would keep what's good about the business, but drive away the charlatans who dumb down the product in hopes of profits. Newspapers aren't the ATMs they once were.
  12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

How so? It's not government subsidy (and, given the way PBS and NPR function, even that wouldn't be undoable from a legal standpoint. It's not something I'm in favor of, for other reasons, but it's not a First Amendment violation). It just changes the way the business side of a newspaper is organized and how they file their taxes. Some outfits, like Pro Publica, are already doing this to a limited extent. Not being able to endorse political candidates is a fairly small price to pay, imo.
Draft saved Draft deleted