1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jun 13, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Bubba!!!

[​IMG]

2. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Everyone at 11-over is cursing Angel Cabrera right now

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I sort of thought that might happen.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Phil, "It's just such a shame that I worked so hard and did my very best and so many people were believing in me and I worked so hard and practiced so much and this big meanie of a golf course jumped out and bit my wrist. Nevrmind the fact that people have been telling me for YEARS that I've never seen rough like the rough at Oakmont, it's the golf courses fault."

Funny, I never heard Ben Hogan belly aching about that Greyhound bus that nearly killed him.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree with Junkie, and not just because I like Phil. It's silly the lengths some people will go to rip him. He's stupid because he practiced too much? He's a pussy because a miserable SOB like Ben Hogan, who never said boo to anyone, didn't complain when he got hit by a bus?

Bianchi's "Toughen Up Phil" stuff was weak too. Phil Mickelson is not Jack Youngblood. Wow. Riveting. What a no-shit argument that is. Tiger Woods isn't Ronnie Lott either, by the way. In case you were wondering.

6. Can someone please sedate me before Berman comes back?
    David Ground Control to Major Toms was about my fucking limit.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't play sh!tty, it was the course's fault?
    Jesus, Phil. Go grab a frosty mug and go play with Amy...

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thankfully, no more Berman. What should be two of the better golf days of the year turn into two of the worst, but thank goodness for the DirecTV feed.

As pointed above, keep it in the fairway. Yes, easier said than done, but Casey hits 13 of 14 and shoots 66.

Tiger has been putting his irons into the rough, but he's still right there. I don't think he's going to win, but it will be very interesting to watch, as usual.

9. To me, horses for courses, Casey's 66 is not that far off Miller's 63.
    What a great round.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I have trouble answering this question. Where is the line between humbled and humiliated? Even par? A few under? A few over?

I enjoy watching the best in the world deal with the hardest conditions and see who survives.

Then again, I enjoy watching the best in the world play like it. But what is too low for a US Open winning score, -10, or is that just right?

I don't know, it's always been a hard question for me to ponder.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't much care about the score. I covered the 2003 Open in Olympia Fields where the players took the course apart on Friday due to wet, calm conditions, but it was still an Open.
    I do like watching the world's best hit shots from the godawful places on a golf course I have to all the time. It actually is instructive watching Woods turn a potential 8 into a mere bogey, or seeing how those guys hit 50-foot putts.
    For one week a year, golf beats the pros. Since it beats everyone else 365 days a year, I don't think that's too much of a hardship for them to bear.
    I understand the winner gets a nice check.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The U.S. Open is the equivalent of seeing an NBA Finals with two Eastern Conference teams. Very ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted