1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That is the overpowering point of the whole thread.

To be into his second decade of playing majors and never have come from even slightly off the pace after three rounds is absolutely damning.

He may pile up more majors than Nicklaus by the end with the bunch of rubes he has out there to play against, but, christ, he should be playing with a bib if he is not ahead when he wakes up on Sunday morning.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any chance the USGA plays the 18th at Torrey Pines as a par-5. Hitting sand wedge into the last hole isn't their thing. I know it gives players a chance to go for the green in two, but a 480-yard par-4 is probably what you'll see.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Hopefully this US Open proved to the USGA you don't need 500-yard four pars to make things interesting. No. 17 was 305 and it created high drama and cost Furyk and Woods a chance to at least force a playoff.

A par 5 finishing hole that has the chance to be eagled could create one heck of a 72nd hole.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The only thing I want to say is: what happened to Steven Ames? :eek: :eek: :eek:He was in the hunt and then he just fizzled. I was hoping for another Canadian to win a big major, but that was an utter disaster on the course yesterday.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I think the last hole should be a Par 36 putt putt course.

6. dawgpounddiehard

Why
    Why does the USGA have a hard-on for Par 70s? Do they like seeing +5 as a winning score instead of -3?

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

First of all.....I got no problems with Cabrera winning it......I think that's what the game needs.....some out of shape pot-belly smoking Luckies down the stretch who absolutely murders the golf ball.......his drive on the 670-yard par 5 (14?) went.........deep breath.....397........glad to see someone different win it.

Second of all.....It would be something different for a US Open to end on a par-5......of course......the ego-driven maniacs at the USGA will manage to screw up Torrey Pines......and we'll see a 550-yard par 4.......a 320-yard par 3......and greens will be ridiculous.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The question with Tiger not dropping the key putts yesterday ... I'd give it a lot more credence if he had been dropping 18-footers with consistency on Thursday and Friday. But he wasn't. His putter just wasn't in top form this weekend, beginning to end.

9. dawgpounddiehard

Good point. For as many GIRs as he had, if the Scotty Cameron was slightly more effective, it would have been scary the scores he would have posted.

That being said, continually making those par putts on 15, 16, 17 to stay in the tournament was great stuff.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Tigger left the win out there Saturday by not converting a bunch of pretty makeable putts.

And don't forget the shortie he missed yesterday on 13, I believe. About 4 feet, maybe. he makes that and he's probably hoisting the trophy right about now.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You mean his brain wasn't. Woods misread too much break over and over.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're forgetting something - at least in the case of Torrey Pines...it'd be a 570-yard par 5. That brings eagle into play. If it were a 480-yard par 4, eagle is impossible unless there's a hole out from the fairway.

Draft saved Draft deleted