1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She can handle those Ukrainians.

We'll see how she does against the Russians.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Probably depends on which Russian she gets. I'm interested to see how she'll do against the Serbs as well.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This conversation sounds like a Cold War strategy meeting. :D

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, Belgium got wiped off the WTA map this year.

5. sportschick

Didn't have anything in the pipeline for when the Big 2 retired, just like the U.S. doesn't seem to have anybody for when the Williams sisters and Davenport retire.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When you consider that the U.S. has, literally, 30 times the population that Belgium does, I'd say that's a much bigger indictment of American tennis than Belgian tennis.

Off topic: I went to a wedding once where the groom was Belgian, and I got a little drunk at the rehearsal dinner and apologized loudly to a group of Belgians for George W. Bush. They got a little huffy and said that all Americans had to own that monster, since all we did was eat fast food and watch American Idol, and I tried to explain that 49.9 percent of us hasn't actually voted for Bush, but they didn't want to hear any of it.

So we talked about women's tennis instead, and I expressed my love for Kim Clijsters but my dislike of Justine Henin. They agree that Henin was a big bitch, but a fierce competitor.

7. sportschick

I would agree it's a much bigger indictment of American tennis, DD.

I miss Henin. I have no one to root against these days. In order for somebody to be a good sports villain, they have to, well, be good, if not great, at the sport. It's why Kyle Busch is so good for NASCAR, and it's what's lacking in tennis -- men's and women's -- right now.

8. sportschick

Roger's attire does not meet with my approval. Ugh.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love you like a brother, DD. But I'd have kicked your ass for apologizing to a bunch of Belgians for ANYTHING. When they did that whole fast food, American Idol thing, I'd have apologized to them too, for not contributing as much to the world as they have with their waffles.

They're Belgian. Did they forget that? They should be happy that when we're weren't all busy eating fast food we decided to liberate their weak asses from the Nazis. Oh lord, do I wish I had been at that rehearsal dinner. I'd have created an international incident.

I was at the open yesterday. The cool thing about the first round is that you get to see some high level tennis up close on the outer courts. I can't think of another premier sporting event in which you can be right up close watching the 7th or 8th best player in the world perform.

10. sportschick

Who the hell dressed Novak this morning? That is hideous.

Ginepri's through, and Roddick finally plays tonight. No clue why they stretched out the men's first round for three days.

11. sportschick

Apparently Djokovic got busy in the Olympic village, because he's now dating the hot model/javelin thrower from Paraguay.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nejs1cBXmn0/RrjYJ20LySI/AAAAAAAABI4/_7stJsPUQDg/las+del+uni+023.jpg (link is SFW, but huge)

12. sportschick

Apparently, I'm the only one watching the Open this week. Ana Ivanovich is in major trouble against a qualifier from France, down a set and on serve in the second. She is not playing well.

Draft saved Draft deleted