1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm sure she's a sweet person, but Dementieva's first-round opponent may be the most masculine-looking WTA player I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, wow. I think Mauresmo's more feminine.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What happened to her?

4. sportschick

Some injuries, she's old for a woman on Tour, but she made the semis last week. I think she's still in the top 30.

5. JakeandElwood

Okay, that's what I thought. Haven't seen her in a while and just wanted to check to make sure I hadn't missed a torn ACL or something of the sort.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Given how quickly she dropped and disappeared, I'm amazed that there hasn't been more talk about it. I guess she sort of got lost after Henin retired and the No. 1 ranking began changing by the week.

And without seeing a draw, I'm going to say Federer doesn't reach the quarters. And it pains me greatly to say that because he might be my favorite athlete of all time. But when I see him play now he looks so miserable and so lost that I can't see him digging deep to beat anyone worth a damn.

7. sportschick

The girl playing Davenport is wearing bright orange underwear.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Today marks the first time in my 23 years at the paper (and probably many years before that) that we are not staffing a Grand Slam tournament (not counting Aussie, which we never staffed).

Sad, sad, sad.

But we have a new design to showcase the AP coverage . . . in whatever tiny space we allot to this tournament now.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Headed there tomorrow. Buddy has passes to the Stadium and the outside courts. The outside courts are so fun. Some big names out there, but doubles and matches between people you've never heard of can be just as much fun, especially when seated right at courtside. Last year we heckled some tall German named Florian who pouted and got his ass kicked.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Very artfully written NYT Magazine piece by Nicholas Dawidoff on John McEnroe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/magazine/24mcenroe-t.html

I liked that bolded line very much.

11. JakeandElwood

Interesting background info on Young from McEnroe.

12. sportschick

Mr. Safin did not lose his five-set match, and I'm a happy girl.

Serena is just dismantling one of the Bondarenko girls.

Draft saved Draft deleted