1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open or NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

There will be a large centerpiece photo of Kobe Bryant every day for the next 1 1/2 weeks.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Open and Dale Jr.
    I can't ever remember a single call about the NBA.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With that ending, it has to be the US Open everywhere other than Boston or LA.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I actually went with a College World Series game with a regional team as main art. Small rag, one inside page, not much else going on anywhere and we're a PM. The Finals ended too late for our main competition to have a game story, so that went across the top of the page with a small picture, alongside the Open story (with a picture inside with the jump). By the time most people see our paper, the playoff will be just about over. Dale was above the fold too, stripped down the side.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The wide range in CWS coverage is always interesting.

In our readership, the final will probably get eight inches inside. During the week, it barely -- barely -- rates a mini-roundup.

And yet, I can fully understand it being huge play in other places.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My instructions to the Sunday night crew was to centerpiece the U.S. Open, lead with the NBA and use NASCAR as the third element on the front.

Regardless of what happened Sunday, there was going to be no bigger story in terms of reader interest than what Tiger did.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my favorite events I've ever covered, but yeah, unless you're in the hometown paper of one of the schools, it merits very little coverage.

Great event though. If you've never covered one, I hope everybody gets to. It's as well done as any sporting event out there.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're in SEC country, and there's a lot of LSU fans around here, so I think it needs to get some play. Part of it, too, is our small section and what the competition did. They're a bigger paper, and their LSU story was inside. I figured I'd give our readers a different look.
    However, if we had done the paper last night instead of this morning, I'd have made the Open the centerpiece without question. Doing it today would make our section one big d_b.

Draft saved Draft deleted