1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open (golf) ticket advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Feb 4, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A question for those who have attended/covered the U.S. Open:

The 2015 event is in the Seattle area. My dad is a big golfer/golf fan, and since it's in my region, I thought it would be a great gift to get tickets for one of the four days and attend.

My question: how fast do these things sell out? Is it worth getting the USGA membership to have a first crack at tickets?

Tickets for the 2015 U.S. Open go on sale March 1, 2014 for USGA Members and Monday, June 9, 2014 for the general public.

Will there be any tickets left for the general public on June 9?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't know about USGA stuff, but I would make two recommendations:

1) Get a Thursday or Friday ticket. Crowds will be spread out over the course and not following the leader, so he can get closer to the action without having to plant in one spot.

2) Is he in good shape? I mean, really good shape for a guy his age? Those courses (and the associated parking and shuttles) can be very difficult to walk.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is the first time the Open is coming to the Northwest, I believe. The first major since the PGA in 1998. So I'm guessing there will be a lot of pent-up demand. Especially at that course.

I don't know how many tickets they plan to sell, but it won't be 190,000 like they do at the Phoenix Open, so it might be worth getting the USGA membership.

And agree with LTL. If you're just going for one day, make it Thursday or Friday. Either way, it's a fun event.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd get the membership. First Open ever in the area, so demand will be extra intense.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

LTL: I agree about the Thursday/Friday advice. I've attended and covered the John Deere Classic (not quite on par with the US Open, but still ...) and it's much easier to move around and see your favorite golfers on those first two days.

And my Dad (age 65) is in good enough shape to walk 18 holes with me and search for my wayward shots!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The USGA membership doesn't cost much and you don't have to put cash up front to enter the lottery. But if Chambers Bay is spectator-friendly, the USGA will sell a lot of tickets. I'd bet you could score a Thursday or Friday ticket under their face value through stubhub or elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted