1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Olympic Delegation: Chinese Food? Not For Us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not sure why you're making such a big deal out of this, GB. I'm quite sure the U.S. won't be the only country doing this. The Chinese have lower inspection standards. It seems to make sense to me.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The steroid angle is a very valid reason... Will make other countries think about it -- for that matter, what happens to the Chinese when they do their own cooking?
    I see no problem with bringing their own chef

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So does the delivery guy there just knock on your door and yell FOOD!??

I've always been curious about that.

4. Hammer Pants

Have Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens had Chinese chefs?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, with traditional Chinese fare, cooking methods and portions, you'd never get that big.

I did hear Clemens has a 46 inch breast though.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Damn. Got all the way to the end of Page 1 while thinking, "Yes! I can post the joke!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The US Olympic team will have its experience limited because of food fears. The Australian teams will be shuttling to Beijing at variuos times because of air pollution fears. The equestrian events will be held in Hong Kong because of the health safety for the horses couldn't be guaranteed.

The Games have changed and not necessarily for the better.

8. Hammer Pants

I'm really beginning to wonder if China was such a great choice.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Chinese food doesn't include the nutrients of HGH

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The games have not changed. Beijing is a dump. Jacques Rogge has told the press he will reschedule endurance events if air quality is too poor, and particulate matter is more than three times the safe limits set by the World Health Organization. As ABC News reported two weeks ago, the Chinese government is already planning to close several coal-fired power plants, steel mills, cement plants, city construction sites and over 150 gas stations by the end of May to decrease pollution, along with restricting the use of private cars in the weeks before the Games themselves.

Their industrial standards are low (but we knew that), their food is full of steroids and every time U.S. Olympic physicians have visited Beijing to measure air quality their readings have ranged from awful to ... well, awful. GB, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm alright with this. It's unfortunate that our Chinese hosts are insulted, but there are valid reasons why we're bringing our own chow. Mien. ;)

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I brought up the enviromental problems the Olympics were facing in a previous thread.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/50445/

To catagorically state that all of China's food is pumped full of steroids is just completely wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted