1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Olympic Delegation: Chinese Food? Not For Us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Col. Creamora?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Really?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also includes the support personnel. AND the athletes. Trust me, the athletes will head over and get their regular food - and I'm sure some of it will be available in the village, too.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The athletes eat at the Village. The food the American Delegation is taking is to be at Beijing Normal for all the support staff, ie. the delegates.

5. Moderator1

OK, I give. You win.
    But the "delegates" aren't over there as tourists. They're over there to, you know, coach and train and shit. They're not going to head out for a leisurely meal. They'll eat where they work. It's a pretty busy pace for those people.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beijing Normal is going to be the USOC training center during the Games. U.S. athletes will train there and can dine there.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And that's part of my point. I can understand the need for everyone to win their medal, but this makes it so the entire U.S. Delegation, athletes, trainers, medical, administrators don't actually have to go anywhere other than the hotel, the training facility and the stadium.

While the Olympics has been all about competition for a number of years now, I miss when it was also a chance for all the participants to get to learn about other cultures and experience the local colors and flavors that made the host nation what it is.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, as will the entire rest of the delegation. Whatever happened to going out and seeing the place you're in? How about visiting the Forbidden City, or Tiannamen Square? I know, they're there for medals, and apparently nothing else.

9. Moderator1

Hey, we really don't disagree. I hear you. But until they compete, it's a business trip. Afterward, I hope they take some time and do their thing.
    Second week in Sydney, we saw all kinds of swimmers out on the town. Their competition was over. First week, you didn't see them.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So how many of the U.S. hoops team goes out for a night on the town with Yao?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've been to a couple of Winter Olympiads. Trust me, there's still time to go out and see the sights.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted