1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Olympic Delegation: Chinese Food? Not For Us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So they're going to take their own with them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3256375

What the hell is wrong with these people? Go out, watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on China, and enjoy the amazing food you will find all across the country.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Meh. This doesn't bother me. It was a process they used in the last two Olympics, so it's not like it's new news, necessarily. Also, given some of the restrictions the Chinese have placed on other athletes -- like the British -- tells me there needs to be way more flexibility on both sides.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Team Canada took their own chef to the tecent World Junior Hockey Championship in the Czech Republic.

Not a big deal

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Read the original piece that the Times ran and ask yourself if you'd eat a chicken breast that was, allegedly, 28 inches long.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/sports/othersports/09olympics.html

Remember when Michael Johnson got food poisoning in Barcelona in the days leading up to the 200? I'd absolutely want to bring my own food if I'd spent a lifetime working toward one event and wanted to make sure one poorly handled piece of beef didn't ruin it for me.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good catch, DD, as always.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't chicken

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Steroid-laced chicken? Someone at KFC just creamed their pants.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, because all Chinese food is like that. God, everyone here takes one thing, and bingo, everything must be that way.

Seriously, it says in the piece the meat is going to be sitting in customs for 10 days, and then another 3 weeks after that before the athletes arrive. Woo-hoo, month old chicken and pork, just for me? Yeah, that's going to taste great.

Or you could go out and have some fantastic Chicken rice, or some duck or some Suckling Pig, and experience another culture.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ever tried Emu? Incredibly lean, and incredibly healthy, just like kangaroo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe AFTER you compete. They're not there to soak up the culture. They are there to win a fucking medal and you don't want to take a chance on unfamiliar food. So you stick to your routines and THEN you maybe enjoy the town a little.

For visitors? For media? Yeah, get out and eat some Chinese food (I assume they just call it food in China). For athletes? Nope.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So when are the delegates set to compete? Is there a business section of the competition I'm not aware of?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The delegation includes the athletes, homes. It isn't for the "delegates."

Draft saved Draft deleted