1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Olympic cyclist asshats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

That's exactly what I thought. The Chinese government deserves to be embarrassed for not fulfulling or going back on a number of the promises it made to get the Games in the first place.
    Though I suppose one could say the pollution is one way to level the playing field in this day of designer drugs...

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess a subtle protest about human rights makes you an asshole in your book.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've never been to China, so I won't try and dispute what you say you experienced.
    Strain to breath the air? Maybe a stretch.
    But I won't further analyze it since I haven't been there.

The athletes used their "entrance" to try and make a political statement.
    Plain and simple.
    And when I see the Olympics, over and over, reduced to such a politicized level, it's cause for loathing.

And the (U.S.) governing body requested the masks.
    Olympic committee obliged any governing body who requested the masks. The IOC didn't suggest anyone wear masks. It merely obliged those who asked.
    The U.S. supposedly asked for 200.
    4 asshats actually wore them.
    Seems political to me, on the part of the 4 who wore them.

Asshats.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

San Bernardino.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

PaulO is in Beijing and rips the USOC, rightly.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=292

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fuck China and fuck the 2008 Summer Olympics. That is all.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

+1
    My feelings have all pretty much been covered by the replies already, and this one sums it up nicely. Thank you.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Even if it was a political statement, why does that make them asshats? So they're just supposed to shut up and ride? Not protest an extraordinarily oppresive regime when given the chance? Are they supposed to check their beliefs at the gate so that people like Blitz aren't offended? Bullshit.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I guess Tommie Smith and John Carlos were also asshats.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The U.S. cyclists should have to apologize...for nothing.
    Between the USOC's actions, the IOC allowing the Chinese to censor the Internet at the press facility, Joey Cheek's visa denial, and numerous other disgraces, Olympic officials have allowed themselves to be bullied from the get-go. Neville Chamberlain looks like a standup guy next to these milksops.
    Let's use the power of the press and modern technology to embarass the Chinese government the way the Nazis should've been embarassed in 1936.
    Don't look to the Redeem Team, though. They don't want to jeopardize their sneaker deals.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As I was reading down the replies on this thread, that was what I was thinking. However, I predict you will now be called an asshat by someone for saying that.

12. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Precisely. And I'm not even convinced that this was a political statement. Check out the blog of one of the four, track rider Mike Friedman:

http://www.mikefriedman.missingsaddle.com/

There's a post where he says the mask-wearing wasn't political. But read beyond that...it's pretty clear he doesn't have an agenda -- he's got a fucking meatball sandwich atop his page. He, and the three others, are just trying not to screw up their lungs and risk not being at peak level for the Olympics. Who knows? Some of them might never get to an Olympiad again.

Draft saved Draft deleted