1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Olympic Committee objects to name of Olympia, Wash., newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 6, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The U.S.O.C. sent me my semi-annual packet full of address labels today, in exchange for donations that I've never made and, now, will definitely never make.

2. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

The USOC should be keeping a low profile after the debacle in Copenhagen. The USOC and its idiocy helped Chicago go one and out.

3. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

In a former life, I covered preps in my hometown of Salem, Ore. Covered my some Sprague HS Olympian games....

http://www.prepsportswear.com/school/us/Oregon/Salem/Sprague-High-School-Olympians.aspx?SchoolID=48210

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gosh, sorry you were late getting to rowing. The competition itself was pretty good.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It was my recollection that Olympic Boulevard was something else then was renamed in honor of the 1932 L.A. Olympics. Wiki thinks so, too:

It was originally named 10th street, but was renamed Olympic Boulevard for the 1932 Summer Olympics, as that was the occasion of the 10th modern event. Tenth Street School, at Olympic and Grattan, was founded in 1888 and has kept the original name.

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

The USOC just lost to freaking South America.

In other words, STFU, and leave this paper alone, you dimwits.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's those darn Artesians!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There aren't Artesians, are there?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

artesians, eh? if you ever have a chance to go to the bulldog bowl in artesia, new mexico, during football season, i highly recommend it.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, don't get defensive. It was widely considered a heaping pile of clusterfuck.
    And, in the end, cost Chicago more than any other factor. It's like living next to the home that thought it was a good idea to put down steer manure on the lawn. It's not bad and doesn't affect you until you the wind shifts and you get a big whiff of shit.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

After Chicago lost, Dick Ebersol said IOC members "don't hate America, they hate the USOC, and with good reason. Congress doesn't need to do any new reform. The USOC just needs new leadership."

Just no idea what he could possibly be talking about there.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember that, a very big "ooooh" moment that Samaranch didn't call Atlanta "the best." The Olympic equivalent of "this place sucks."

Draft saved Draft deleted