1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.: North Korea's "nucular" program is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

In between shooting holes in one, Kim Jong Il apparently decided to cancel NK's nuke program.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/09/02/koreas.nuclear.ap/index.html

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Damn! Now what's going to be our excuse when we invade? [/Cheney]

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You'll forgive me if I don't blindly jump for joy with the news.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

does that make george fucking bush an axis of evil, now?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not surprising, I guess, that the usual suspects would fail to note that U.S. diplomatic efforts in this sphere – widely reviled for failing to acquiesce to "two party" talks while pursuing a larger strategy that included other nations in the region – seem to have worked, at least in the short term.

Korea probably seems like a joke to a lot of you, but there are plenty of folks on the board who take the threat of another "engagement" there pretty damn seriously. I've stood on the border and it seems pretty damned real to me.

6. If true, this is a good thing.
    History mandates that we note, however, that this involves closing down a program they stepped up -- four to six bombs -- when this administration abandoned the Agreed Upon Framework devised during the Clinton administration by which NK developed no weapons and enriched no uranium. So what the Bush team did was play itself to a tie here.
    Still, a good thing.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Korea: America's go-to kissing your sister result.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If true, it's great news. I'm skeptical but hopeful. This is no tie though, as we both know that the Clinton agreement (aka Madeline's Prom document) was worthless and ignored from the day it was signed. Like Castro's alleged death, I'll believe it when I see it, but if it's true it's a huge, surprising, victory.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Until Jong, his government & his followers are dead and buried, I'm willing to bet money that he still has his starving minions developing nuclear power & weapons, or at least trying to manufacture dirty bombs. If there was a country to invade, why wasn't it North Korea?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because it would drive China and its million-man army batshit crazy, for starters. Second, it would absolutely be an unwinnable war of attrition. Third, they have nothing we want, so why would Bush Cheney invade?

11. Worthless and Ignored=Not making any bombs until the Bushies walked away from the agreement.
    Keep trying, lad. There's life in those talking points yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted