1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. murder rate rose by 10.8 percent in 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What in the fuck do you think that has to do with what I've said?

If the murder rate's at 50%, the variance is 25%. If the murder rate's at 10%, the variance is 9%. There's far less natural, year-to-year variability when it's low (or way high).

A 10% increase in the murder rate is a helluva lot less likely when the murder rate's 10% than when it's 50%. And just to be clear, I definitely mean to say that a murder rate increase from 10% to 11% is way the hell less likely than a murder rate increase from 50% to 55% ...

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Probably less considering the Blue Bell listeria outbreak. That might have driven some Southerners to kill.

Ace and doctorquant like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not if the 400-pounder gained the weight while hacking into the DNC from his bed.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What is a 50% murder rate? You mean half the people are murdered in a year?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's more likely to die from tainted Blue Bell ice cream. Though I'm sure Hillary will be fingered.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A 50% murder rate is a contrivance of mine to demonstrate the underlying point, which is that as a variable such as the murder rate approaches its lower limit, its variance gets much smaller.

If you treat it more properly as some number of occurrences per X thousand people, the same idea would hold: The variance of the rate of occurrence would be equal to the mean rate of occurrence. When the rate of occurrence is at or near its lower limit (0 in this case), the likelihood of large relative increases (i.e., an increase in the rate of 10.8%) becomes smaller.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think you need to start with a simple, "If Johnny has 10 apples . . . " example.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DAMN YOU!!! NOW I'VE GOTTA USE A MELON-BALLER TO SCOOP THAT OUT OF MY GREY MATTER!

Ace and doctorquant like this.
  9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Who is ready for the Bayesian vs. frequentist smackdown?

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Looking at the numbers over 13,000 murdered in US 2015. Of that number over
    7000 African Americans. Yet not a peep from Black Lives matter on that stat.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not by Bill.

Draft saved Draft deleted