1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Marines Urinating On Corpses Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Did R Kelly join the Marine Corps?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I understand you were being sarcastic, but to what end?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We don't.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right. And, this was wrong. It didn't help us to achieve our goals.

It still doesn't make us the equivalent of the Taliban.

But, I'm sure if our President & Secretary of State continue to talk to the Taliban, we can convince them to play nice with us. They've shown in the past how amenable they are to a persuasive dialogue.

I was especially pleased when the whole world begged them not to destroy the Buddhas of Bamiyan, and they were cnvinced not to blow them up.

No reason to believe they won't act the same way now.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Az, I nearly mentioned you by name in my post to exclude you from my criticism. I should have.

You are a rare, and consistent breed.

I disagree with you on a lot, but you have my respect.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My only wish for threads like these is that people realize this to be the absolute truth of war. Always has been. On every side in every age. This is what war is.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Holy crap, this was a Beamon-esque leap. Let's take this one-by-one:

What does this even mean?

Raiders set the equivalency, saying that because terrorists desecrate the bodies of American troops, it's OK that our troops do the same to them. I loathe the argument that it's OK for us to behave like animals because our enemies do.

I'm not outraged by the decision of troops on the ground to kill Osama bin Laden. I'm not outraged by a kill or capture order. Seal Team VI followed the rules of engagement and they have been roundly applauded for accomplishing their mission. As I said on the threads about Bin Laden's death, I was a little bit queasy about feeling good about the death of someone, but in the end, the world is better off without him. What that has to do with Marines pissing on corpses, I have no idea.

Again, what does this have to do with price of tea in China?

Just a foolish argument. We have plenty of discussions, arguments and outrage over the decisions and actions of our political leaders. This thread is about the actions of some Marines. It's not really the spot to discuss foreign policy. If you'd like to discuss assassinations or drones, start a thread about those issues.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can fully understand how an incident like this will make the work of our soldiers more difficult. It doesn't make us look good in terms of international opinion.

But at the same time, I have a very hard time mustering very much outrage over this. We are talking about assholes who have willingly killed men because their beards weren't long enough for them, treated women like slaves before killing them, and shown no care for children, kidnapping them, forced to plant IEDs, and even (if I remember my terrorists right) killed, then had their bodies planted with IEDs, then dumped outside their parents' homes only to explode when the grieving parents come outside to retrieve their children. Talk about defiling a corpse.

Of all people, the Taliban have no right to bitch about how they are treated, alive or dead.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We really need to tone down the use of the term "outrage."

When I saw what happened, I basically shook my head and said to myself, "Fucking idiots. When will people understand that every move you make can be subjected to world-wide scrutiny in a matter of hours?"

Is that really outrage?

I don't believe many (or any) on here care what the Taliban thinks. They are just basically saying, "That's wrong. Period."

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to excuse the alleged behavior of the U.S. Marines in question but I can't think of anything more barbaric than sawing someone's head off while they're alive, a particular specialty of Al Qaeda.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't really care what they do, Marines (and soldiers, alike) simply need to stop carrying any kind of camera. This is embarrassing for all.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ah, they've done far worse than peeing on an American corpse. And we still haven't nuked anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted