1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Marines Urinating On Corpses Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 11, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can hook you up with the latest version. Just ask. :)

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No way does it justify but wondering if this is some kind of blowback from the news that the White House has signaled a willingness to negotiate with Taliban and as a show of good faith release Taliban prisoners held at GITMO.

I can't imagine how that news would sit well with the soldiers currently fighting the Taliban.

Would not sit well with me or much of the American public if Mullah Omar is welcomed back into society.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If this is the Marine 3/2, as has been reported, they were back from Afghanistan some time last summer.

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Holy Bull? The Marines have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for the Taliban and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Taliban's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, is the consensus that the Taliban might not like America and our way of life as a result of this? That would be a shame.

I hope it doesn't hurt our peace talks with them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/world/asia/quest-for-taliban-peace-talks-at-key-juncture.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/12/us-afghanistan-usa-urination-idUSTRE80A2D720120112

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We are supposed to be the good guys.I am pretty sure we were the good guys in WWII.

Now, I am not so sure. The good guys don't piss on people. But I don't think anything anyone does outside of the military will correct this problem. They have to solve this in house. I am also pretty sure this is a 93/7 problem as well. For every 100 soldiers, 93 are decent soldiers, but it's seven that we keep reading about.

8. YankeeFan

Exactly. Sometimes things like this will happen. Doesn't make it right. But, when it is exposed, the important thin is that it is dealt with appropriately.

This drives me crazy as well. The only people who would say things like this do not know any service members.

Go talk to a few, and tell me you don't come away impressed.

To let the actions of a few taint your entire opinion of our service members would be akin to thinking all sportswriters are child molesters based on Bill Conlin's actions.

Let's not paint with broad brushes.

We have a military we can be proud of. Most of us here would never get through basic, let alone be able to deal with the stress they deal with.

In the military, 25-year-olds are given more responsibility than they ever would be in the private sector.

We are extremely luck in America that so many incredible young men and women are willing to serve in our nations defense. They are every bit as heroic as any previous generation that has served in uniform.

And, they are better trained, and better educated than ever before. Modern warfare requires far greater training than ever.

They're not fighting trench warfare. And, they're not peeling potatoes either.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And I'd say we all get pretty disgusted with it and offended by it when they do that.

We're supposed to be better than that.

I loathe the argument that because terrorists do something, it's OK for us to do the same.

10. YankeeFan

Oh, thank God.

We are the good guys. we are better than the Taliban, just as we were in WWII.

But, if you think there weren't a couple of Nazi corpses treated with disrespect in WWII, then you're dreaming.

Every time some horrible crime is discussed here, people talk about how if it had happened to a family member, they would do horrible things to the perpetrator if given the chance.

Well, these guys often did see their best friend killed right next to them. Emotions are running high.

And, I'm not excusing it at all. It was wrong, and they'll be dealt with.

But, at the same time, I don't see why we should collectively ring our hands over one (or several) case of misconduct in a 10-year-old war.

It is not indicative of our military forces as a whole, and it doesn't mean that they are glorifed ditch digger lugging around M-16's.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it's OK to act no better than the Taliban because they are crazy and deserve what they get?

OK.

Just to be clear -- we aren't trying to make the Middle East a parking lot. We are trying to take down the terrorists and make friends with the moderates.

Hard to win the hearts and minds with this kind of crap, though.

12. YankeeFan

So, that was the only atrocity committed against our men and women in uniform, right?

And, this one incident now allows you to draw a moral equivalency between us and them? Because of this one incident, we're just as bad as them?

Also, if we're supposed to be sooooo much better, then where was the outrage when an assassination order was given by our President on a number of occasions?

Where's the outrage regarding the ongoing use of armed drones, that continue to result in collateral damage?

Why do we only muster outrage against the young men and women who volunteer to wear the uniform?

Draft saved Draft deleted