1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. LLWS runner-up: Jackie Robinson West cheated, should lose title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 9, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Feel-good story of 2014 feels a bit less good:

Jackie Robinson West Should Be Stripped of Title, Las Vegas Team Says - Roseland - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Kristi Black, the president of Nevada's Mountain Ridge Little League, said she is concerned the U.S. title already “has an asterisk on it like the one on Barry Bonds home run record,” and the Las Vegas team “rightfully deserves to be recognized as the legitimate team that went the farthest” in the World Series tournament.

DNAinfo.com Chicago has reported on allegations that Jackie Robinson West league officials stacked the team’s roster with All-Star ringers, including some from the suburbs, and secretly expanded their league boundaries to overtake sections of three sister leagues against Little League rules in a move to pick up players that helped the team win the 2014 U.S. title.

Earlier story detailing the allegations coming from other Chicago-area Little Leagues:

Closed-Door Little League Meetings Over Jackie Robinson West Map Get Heated - Morgan Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Those poor white children.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

DNA Info has been promoting its reporting on this for a while now. I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen anything about it for a few weeks.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'd take this a bit more seriously if it wasn't the parents of one Little League team trying to ass fuck another.

5. As noted above.. This story has been out for months. I think I saw it on Deadspin last year.
    Big. Deal.
    Honestly, I'd more surprised if teams didn't cheat or bend the rules; US and International teams.
    This isn't the exception anymore. It's the (accepted) standard.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The story being told seems pretty clear that JRW changed the boundaries without telling any of the other leagues, then went back and tried to get those leagues to agree to the changes once people started sniffing around. I'm sure leagues do it, but there usually isn't that kind of smoking gun with the paperwork.

I'm sure Little League isn't going to ruin its own story of the return of urban baseball, but it's fishy for sure.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The Little League World Series is grimier than any other sporting event.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Boxing? The Olympics?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cheating by adults overseeing youth sports!?! <Clutches pearls, falls to fainting couch.> I just can't believe it!

Ace likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The only question was whether you or Jay Farrar made this comment first.

Songbird likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Thrusting a camera in a bawling 11 year old's face trumps all.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's better than what priests thrust toward them.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted