1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. expansion back in the cards for the CFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

They were called the CFL's, or the "Baltimore Football Club." But during their first season, the PA guy would announce them as "your Baltimore CFL....." and the crowd would scream "COLTS!"

They changed their name to Stallions for their second and final season. At least it allowed them to keep their logo.

[​IMG]

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Wouldn't the league need to change it's name then?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nah. The Blue Jays play in the American League, don't they?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

"I don't think so, Boss."

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

They doin' anything with the old Air Force base in Plattsburgh? You could always build there.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't think it will happen either, but if they came in with the right plan of attack rather than an outright money grab, it could work. If they did do it, instead of a mass expansion south, it would likely work best as a slow migration, taking time to develop those franchises. I would certainly look at going to all-new places. Forget Birmingham, what about a place like Boise or DesMoines. They don't have to be huge centres. Really you're looking for minor league cities that are willing to support these types of leagues.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

they don't need US expansion, they need a team in Quebec and a team in the Maritimes.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I agree with you, I'm just saying IF they were to go back to the U.S.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think if they went back to the US, they should hire Bettman to orchestrate the expansion. Because it's worked out really well under his reign.

EDIT: The CFL expansion came on the heels of the NHL's expansion into the Southern US markets. Larry Smith decided that if hockey could play down there, then he was sure as hell gonna make sure the CFL got a little of the action.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why don't we trade a couple of football teams for hockey teams? For example, we could ship out the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to make room for the Predators! :D

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My Tiger Cats?

The Tiger Cats of Angela Mosca, Bernie Faloney and Garney Henley? THOSE Tiger Cats?

A pox on your Owen Sound house.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

You don't think football for hockey in Hamilton is a fair trade?

How do you think they feel in Ottawa, where they are bereft of both pro football AND hockey? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted