1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. expansion back in the cards for the CFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm only counting eight CFL teams currently. Did someone slip in another Ottawa expansion team when I wasn't looking?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Baltimore only was successful because the city was still bitter about the Colts, and became more so when the Irsays wouldn't let the team be called the "CFL Colts." (Though I still have a Baltimore CFL Colts T-shirt somewhere that I picked up after the order to drop the name.) The biggest entertainment at the CFL game I went to was the thong-wearing cheerleaders responding eagerly to fan entreaties to do cartwheels.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Given the NFL's inexplicable inability to fill this niche, we're missing the obvious:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you remember sthe cene at the Baltimore game in an episode of Homicide?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Still trying to figure out how an NFL team based in Indianapolis could stop a CFL team in Baltimore from calling itself the Colts.

There really should be a law against holding a former team name for ransom after you've abandoned a community.

If I had been running the city of Baltimore, I'd have backed the CFL Colts and told them not to change their name - "go fuck yourselves, Irsays, we'll see you in the court of public opinion."

EDIT: Never mind, I was curious and I looked up the court case.

Still, it's hard to swallow the arguments of the NFL and the Colts that there could have been confusion between the NFL and CFL franchises. Equally ludicrous was the successful contention that the CFL Colts were trying to capitalize on the "goodwill" of the NFL Colts' name in Baltimore. Whatever. ::)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Expanding into the Michigan market. What a good idea!!

[​IMG]

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The only reason to put a CFL franchise in the US is American taxpayers will fund a new stadium!

"And from the beautiful Starman Bowl in downtown Birmingham..."

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Never hurting for dough in B'ham...put a stadium up @ Woodward and Maple!

My expansion votes are for Plattsburgh and Coeur d' Alene.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice....

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's more like the team was capitalizing on the Colts' "badwill."

11. i remember watching a CFL game at memorial stadium

very weird but fun

wasn't their name "The Baltimore CFL Franchise?" while they fought an unsuccessful legal battle to be called the Colts?

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Rochester? Rochester? He's talking about putting a franchise in Rochester?

Rochester? Has he ever been to Rochester?

Two pro stadiums there, neither of which is suitable for a CFL-sized field. Neither of which can hold more than 14,000 people.

And let's not forget that Rochester already has minor-league baseball, hockey, indoor football, basketball and soccer as well as major-league lacrosse (box and field). That was two too many franchises even before "Great Depression II, The Sequel."

Rochester? Good luck with that, fella.

Draft saved Draft deleted