1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. eliminated from 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

China or Russia include political prisoners in those numbers?

(Hint: no)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You mean like Alexei Navalny? Although he's not currently in jail, he deliberately gets himself arrested 2-3 times a year by holding protests on streets where he doesn't have permission (and not holding them on streets where he does have permission). America loves that little rabble-rouser. :)

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How do Russia and China categorize people who aren’t imprisoned, but just kind of disappear?

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is he the guy who had a five-goal match in '94?

5. BTExpress

I believe that was Oleg Salenko.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. Morocco is pretty developed, and the distances to travel between matches would be far less. I'd wager a lot of the teams would set up camp in the south of Spain.

Excepting Canada's possible entry, I'd prefer Morocco as a journalist. The most gruelling part of covering a Cup is the intercity travel. One time zone is also nice.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Does Morocco have the infrastructure for a 40-team Cup? Will they have to move this one to November-December because of the heat? Something tells me Fox gets to FIFA and says hold on a minute, even though it got the 2026 rights in an absolute steal.

8. BTExpress

Climate is quite wonderful near the coast, I believe. Keep it away from Marrakesh, however.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Morocco has a super varied climate. Lots of desert, sure, but also high plains, seacoast and mountain valleys. There's skiing. But while it's not a poor country, it doesn't really have the amount of cities to support 8-10 new 40,000 seat soccer stadiums once the Cup is gone. My belief is that the US-Canada bid only has to promise no indictments or arrests of FIFA officials from now on to get the Cup.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You might even be able to get a reservation here:
    [​IMG]

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted