1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. eliminated from 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 10, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, I think we can both agree that's a problem.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now start with a world class athlete, give him a year, against good competition, with good coaching, and nothing else to do but get better at soccer.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's ***the*** problem.

4. typefitter

You'd have Tim Tebow in baseball. Or Michael Jordan.

You sure know more about things you know nothing about than anybody else on earth.

wicked likes this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I imagine they'd get pretty good at soccer. But they'd still lose quite badly to world-class athletes who had 20 years against good competition with good coaching and nothing else to do but get better at soccer.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And this is why you get under my skin at times. You're having an argument with the guy on the merits of his stance. Why can't you just stick to that instead of lashing out at him personally? How does the bolded sentence advance anything? He's either right or he's wrong, and it doesn't matter if he's in charge of the coffee at Dunkin' Donuts or the head of FIFA.

I'm not interested in belaboring this point or derailing the thread. Just noting that this is a habit of yours - an ad hominem salvo - here (and elsewhere) when you start to get frustrated. It's a tell. Nobody has gone after you personally on this thread, and you've put forth some pretty specious arguments.

7. YankeeFan

Renaldo Nehemiah player three seasons in the NFL. You know why? Because all he had to do was run and catch a ball — and he wasn’t very good at catching the ball.

Soccer is less complicated than you or Inky make it out to be.

8. YankeeFan

Yes. Sure. And, if these kinds of athletes were currently playing soccer, you’d be right.

Instead, we’ve got a bunch of 5’9”guys scurrying around the pitch.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're wrong here. It looks less complicated ... that doesn't mean it is.

10. YankeeFan

Whoah. Don’t make my job sound more important and glamorous than it is.

11. typefitter

He is wrong. It's a simple game that's hard to play well. It's extremely technical, it's fast, and it's strategic. It's also played by hundreds of millions of people, and only a few of them get to be really good at it.

12. typefitter

When I start telling anybody to "lick my ass," then you can be the one who calls me on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted