1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. eliminated from 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 10, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I now y'all are discussing this on the soccer thread, but it's a major deal for those of us casual fans or non-fans.

2-1 loss to Trinidad and Tobago leaves them fifth in qualifying. A tie would have gotten them through.

WTF?

Brooklyn and parts of Chicago and Oakland are in for a long couple of years.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least it took two countries to beat us.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish I got that reference, LTL. And is this a bigger moment for Trinidad and Tobago than their goal against the Mighty Ducks?

4. LongTimeListener

Hipster havens.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not a huge soccer guy but I love the World Cup. This is shocking. A tie, just a damn time. Or Honduras to lose. Or Panama to lose.
    Quite a trifecta of shit results.

Those who know more than me (and that's just about everyone): time for an overhaul? Why isn't the U.S. better in men's soccer?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Time for an overhaul starting with the president of US Soccer.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

How much money is Fox going to lose on the broadcast? Americans love huge events but I don't see casual and non fans watching games airing mostly late night and early morning with the time difference between US and Russia

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. Burn it to the ground.

This team has very little talent, little character and they're poorly coached.

There's no easy solution. The talent pool just isn't there. But my God... failing to get out of CONCACAF should never, ever be an option.

9. Inky_Wretch

Fox will go all-in on El Tri. They’ll be fine.

Double Down and Spartan Squad like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

I haven't paid enough attention in the last four years to know how it affects this roster, but the player development system still -- and perhaps even more nowadays -- limits the pool to rich and mostly white kids. Soccer is the absolute worst of all team sports about costs and about demanding all-in commitment way too early. A lot of very promising soccer players choose something else.

11. Inky_Wretch

Compounding the anguish.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is worse than when the Dodgers left town.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted