1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. drone attack kills American-born Muslim cleric in Yemen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hokie_pokie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Whether he has the power to do this or not is sort of a murky area.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/may/11/joe-lieberman/lieberman-says-president-can-approve-killing-us-ci/

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned they're wanted criminals who fled, hid in foreign countries and got killed in a fight when they were found. Sort of like the final scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid only they're not nearly as likable as Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Didn't the Bush Administration resolve all these pesky ethical questions surrounding 'unlawful combatants' back in 2003?

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/7kt6n5zf;jsessionid=496EC21BB29B495BCA946F510977D264#page-1

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This was not a we-tried-to-capture-but-killed-him scenario. We were actively targeting Al-Alwaki for assassination. I'm pretty uneasy with this deprivation of due process rights.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has there ever been a case where a U.S. court has ruled against the President who has approved the killing of anyone? Ironically, I think Obama probably has a better case justifying the strike when viewed under the scope of international law.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As long as we're using baseball analogies, Obama killing bin Laden was the baseball equivalent of Obama getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to cap a 10-run inning in which all of the other baserunners were from the Bush team. And Obama went to the plate without a bat in his hands because he had previously announced he was against the use of all the weapons the Bush team had used.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This new member may end up causing more problems than Skiptomylou1-10

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How do you get to be a mod?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How do you get to be a mod? Dress nattily, ride a scooter, take speed, listen to Motown.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shit, you beat me, but I like what I was going to post: "Well, look at a lot of film of the swinging London scene, imitate the clothing and get into the Who."

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I didn't say which president did more or less. I just called you on your obvious "every other major Al-Qaeda leader was left alive" during the Bush administration bullshit, and gave you about a dozen examples of why you were wrong. And what do you care of Khalid Mohammad was still alive. He's not breathing free air and thanks to the waterboarding he gave up a lot of shit.

The debate wasn't who's done more. The debate was your ridiculous contention that Bush had done nothing.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Oh my. No doubt the political debates will ramp up just in time for 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted