1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Air passengers already hinting at litigation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The answer is no because it reduces air flow to the turbines.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We use improved filtering systems in the desert to keep sand out of the engines, so I'd say that some type of protection system is possible.

Problem is, this doesn't happen very often and the cost-benefit would be way out of whack.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In that case....

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The first guy quoted in the story sounds a little bit weeny to me:

Joe Hart, a salesman from Charlotte who suffered a bloody nose and bruises, says he "would like to be made whole for the incident."
    It's too soon after the accident to determine what emotional distress he has suffered, he says.

Hart then says that the emotional trauma on subsequent flights has gotten progressively worse, and that of the stuff left on the US Airways plane, "he left a lot of items behind and doesn't know which ones may be lost."

OK, that last part is b.s. I'm sure you know what was lost, just document it. Sorry if some of it was family photos or something really valuable. You'll get reimbursed and then some, if the $5k wasn't enough already. Though I think all those passengers should send half the money to that pilot, who did SAVE THEIR LIVES and probably did it on the cheap with union concessions and whatever else pilots have had to give back the last few years to keep their jobs.

As for the trauma, I don't want to minimize that. I'm sure it's there. But dude, you survived. You've got a great story. Tell the guy sitting next to you on your next flight and he'll probably buy you a beer.

At least there is some voice of reason in that USA Today story, at the end from a NASCAR employee.

5. Simon_Cowbell

That bastard deserves a strangling.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Screw litigation, if I'm a survivor I say you replace all my stuff and pay me $100,000 and I'll do a TV spot for you. That way no lawyer gets a cut. These folks have been all over TV talking about how wonderful the pilot is, no jury is going to give them that much.

7. The bottom line is that, if you won't go past wiki to look at the real facts of the case, and the supporting documents thereto, you don't really give a damn about the truth of things, which makes it easier to tell know-nothing conclusions, I guess, but certainly doesn't say much for your journalistic bona fides.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny you mention McDonalds coffee. I don't think its a coincidence that McD is reporting booming business while Starbucks is laying people off after McD started offering espressos and cappucinos at half Starbucks price.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't aware of that, Dan. But I can't wait to sue McDonald's for getting me all hopped on caffeine.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I wouldn't be so arrogant re: wiki

Anyway, disagree with a single part of that wiki listing since you purport to know so much about it, like you do everything else.

So far, YOU are the one showing zero evidence of your defense of the litigation.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does wiki say that Al Gore invented the internet, too, Simon?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nope. But Al Gore did once stick his hand on a hot stove and sue General Electric for negligence. Little known fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted