1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Air passengers already hinting at litigation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Conservatives excel at being outraged at what liberals haven't done but might do, dammit.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No. Remember, we're the same country where an idiot sued McDonald's because the hot coffee that she ordered was too hot.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Yup. And if you didn't, US Air wouldn't be responsible for that. You know, unless a jetliner crashed down on your car somewhere. Unless it was hit by birds, of course.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Then PETA'd sue you.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't know the details of what their claims might be, but what if US Air was actually negligent? Not sure what they could have done differently, but perhaps there was some reasonable way to guard against this, which did not happen here.

The pilot's actions were certainly heroic, but all that did was make a potentially catastrophic situation into a loss of property and some slight medical damages. If US Air were negligent, they may not be properly compensating the people for what they actually lost.

6. 'beat --
    Ah, old son, you fell for it.
    The "McDonald's coffee" story is one of the great urban myths of our time. Lady spills coffee, gets burned, sues, wins. Damned lawyers, right?
    Wrong.

The woman was 79. The coffee literally burned off her genitals through a pair of sweatpants. A surgeon testified at her trial that,
    "Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck also underwent debridement treatments."

Oh, and the coffee ? Well, McDonald's was warned repeatedly about serving coffee at a temperature 20 to 30 degrees hotter than in the average restaurant. It ignored all the warnings. There's a reason why that woman won.

That said, this lawsuit hasn't a ghost of a chance.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How much did the 9-11 survivors sue for *after* they received hundreds of millions in benefits?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There was an explanation on here a while back about how that was a legitimate suit, even before Fen's surely better explanation. This one, unless maintenance negligence can be proved, doesn't sound like a starter.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is no reasonable way. And if there were it would be the responsibility of the airport, not the airline.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fenian is right on this one.

McDonalds kept the coffee way higher than recommended b/c it would last longer on the burner.

In addition, if my memory serves me, the woman orignally just wanted the cost of her medical care. McDonalds blew her off. McDonalds was in the wrong on this, big time.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Fens, Dooles,

Thank you both for the clarification.

Denis Lemieux once famously said that "you go to the box for two minutes and feel shame." He also said that "you're stupid, like some English pig" before being interrupted.

While I'm not English, I will go to the box for 120 seconds and feel the diametric opposite of pride.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Why not the airline? What if there was safety equipment which was not installed or not properly maintained?

Draft saved Draft deleted